Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing, quilting lessons >

Sewing, quilting lessons

Sewing, quilting lessons

Old 08-28-2013, 03:21 PM

LQS charges $15/hr for private lessons. Group classes work out to $6/hr
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 PM

I would say 15-20 dollars an hour. I have paid anywhere from $35-80 for a day class
Old 08-29-2013, 04:18 AM

I've taught friends on an individual basis but did not charge.

Be prepared for some of them to be totally clueless! And for others to think they know a lot more than they really do.

Also you will find that some are more interested in making clothing than quilts and vice versa.

Decide if you want to teach a basic sewing class which could then prepare them for either garment making or quilting OR if you would prefer to teach a class that is dedicated to a particular project - wall hanging, table runner, tote, etc.

Have fun!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 AM

I taught sewing/quilting at a local sew & vac shop. The owner liked me there as seeing someone sewing & some of the quilts on display helped his sewing machine sales. I also got a commission when someone bought a new or used machine. I also went to a couple homes to teach sewing to teenagers.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 AM

Thank you so much. You have provided me much food for thought. I have taught and shared a lot with friends which I enjoyed. I think that is what has gotten me in "trouble" and put me in this situation now I'm trying to get out of it or make it more profitable. Hope all of you have a blessed day.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:55 AM

I thought I'd pop in here and give another suggestion or two. I've taught a lot of people to sew.

I taught sewing in adult education classes.... in a school classroom with sewing machines. I've also taught sewing at a quilt shop where people brought their own machines. And.... I've taught quilting classes in quilt shops as well.

I would decide on one project.... otherwise, you have too many different things going on at once. And, everyone needs your help, all the time.

I would decide how much time it would take to make the project and then double it. You know what you're doing and could make it in a set amount of time. No one taking the class will know.... that's why they are there..... and it just takes double the time.

There are people that will show up for one class but not come back. Life gets in the way. I always have an extra day/time for those people to come and finish up what they have started.

I don't know if any of my past experiences will help out but I hope so. Good luck. It takes a lot of work to help people learn a new skill. Enjoy it... don't get discouraged. I always feel like I'm passing on something that needs to be learned..... too many people don't even know how to sew on a button.

Last edited by nanna-up-north; 08-29-2013 at 07:01 AM.