Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing lessons?

Banned
    I am a complete novice as it comes to the sew machine. Yes, I tied 1 quilt, but that is about all I can do. :oops:
    Where is the best place to learn how to sew well? I would like to be able to do it professionally sometime in the very far future... So, where?
    I do not live near a joannes, I'm out in the country, and what would be a fair price to pay per hour or so?
    Thank you so much
    Emily

Do you have any adult education programs in your area? I know the ones here using have sewing classes & they are usually very reasonably priced too. My quilt class is thru' adult ed & it's free :D

You may try asking the local home economic teacher, they sometime will do adult classes or bring someone in.

Some sewing machine dealers will know people to teach you but they usually charge out the nose!!

Try adult education. For a nominal fee, they have night classes at a local high school here. Good Luck!!

Check with your county cooperative extension office, usually listed in the blue pages. I've always found classes through them that are well presented and very cheap to take, and if they don't , they would have some local resources for you.

There are some great books out there too. And video tutorials on the web. I'm sure it's kind of hard to get a class when you're out in the beautiful country. And the best advice I ever received...practice, practice, practice! And of course this board is filled with experts. All you have to do is ask away!

Banned
    Well, the thing is, :roll: , I'm not an adult, I'm 13.....

Our own ShellyQ has the most wonderful tutorials right here on this board. Here's the first one: http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/6460.page

So happy to see a young person wanting to learn quilting. You'll do great! It's so much fun!

Check with your county's Co-operative Extension office. They can connect you with 4-H! I used to handle the 4-H sewing kids in our local group. And, since I quilt....that's what the kids did.

Quilter101, don't you have a Home Economics class at your school? My 13 year old son is taking it (here it's called Family and Consumer Science or FACS) and has taught me a few things! He is currently learning to knit. The best part is he had a choice between FACS or Woodworking and he chose FACS! He's made a drawstring tote, pajama pants, a zippered pencil case, and is currently working on a knitted scarf. They also do cooking and baking. Also, your local library will have resources and may even know someone that does lessons.
    Renee

Banned
    One other thing I forget to add is that I'm homeschooled. So, that's why I don't have it at my school... :)

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    4H is definitely a great place to learn so much.

Is there someone in your church who sews? There is probably an older woman who would love to mentor you. Just ask.

I was just about to suggest the same thing, mary! Is there a quilt/sewing/craft circle at your church? They are great places to learn. Or maybe just a woman who sews and is willing to teach you. If your family is part of a homeschool group, there may be a family in the group who sews. You could possibly work out some lessons in exchange for babysitting.

LOL I knew you were gonna say you are home schooled! The school might let you take the class anyway, it's worth a phone call, with your parents blessing of course. I know our school lets home schoolers come in for some classes, usually the electives like art, band, choir, and PE too. Like I said it may be something you can ask your parents to check into.

The 4H idea is a good one as well as the church. You may also want to look up your nearest quilt guild, I'm sure they'd love to have you.
    Renee

Quilt Guilds are usually everywhere. Check with the fabric stores for who to contact. One or more of the members will no doubt be happy to help you. Too bad you are so far away from me....

judee

4-H is where I learned and my daughter learned to sew. The county extension office should have some information for classes. Being homeschooled do you have contact with other homeschooled families and home ec or something like it could be one of your classes? I know my cousin home-schooled and they did all kinds of interesting classes using everyday life skills.

Quilter101: I was a home economics teacher at the beginning of my teaching career (and went back to school for elementary education). Today, home economics programs have drastically changed (and it's a shame). H.E. is now called Family something or other. Anyway, you could try the county extension office or the 4-H. If they don't have an organized adult program, perhaps they could suggest somewhere or someone that could help you. But you know what, if you are really sincere about learning to "sew well" you can do it on your own. Do you know anyone who sews? Set up a little session with them and sit and sew for a while. The more you sew, the more proficient you will become. I wish that I was near you. I would love to sit and sew with you. I still get calls from sewers in a bind and we "sew by phone." :lol: Drop me a PM and we can sew per internet. There are good books with a wealth of info that can help you with basics.

You can also visit Pattern Review.com. it's a wonderful forum for everything sewing related and they offer online classes.

What part of the country do you live in, north, south east or west? Maybe it is close to one of us and we could help you.

http://sewing.about.com/od/beginner1/bb/sewing101.htm

Here's a good beginning, above as well as all of the previous suggestions in this thread. I made all of my clothes when I was in high school (late 60's graduated in'71). Took 5 years of Home Economics just to get that new out fit in the fall and spring....hehehe. The above link is a great start and if you get stuck with something just ask.

Linda D.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter101
    One other thing I forget to add is that I'm homeschooled. So, that's why I don't have it at my school... :)
    My neighbor (3 miles down the road :cry: ) homeschools her 14 year old daughter. While discussing her classes and such I inquired if she would be interested in learning to sew. She is thrilled, it also counts for her class time. Started with just getting her used to the machine, then she brought over some mending. She has hemmed pants, sewed buttons, closed up popped seams, and is now working on a top from a pattern :D She wants to learn how to quilt also. There have been lots of hints given here, church, 4H, extension service, etc. You may have to let it be known in your circle of friends that you are interested in learning how to sew. Careful if you advertise or post anything, be sure you know the person that will teach you. Good luck finding someone close to you and you will love learning how to sew, is something that you will always use :D