Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing lessons? >

Sewing lessons?

Sewing lessons?

Old 10-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

One other thing I forget to add is that I'm homeschooled. So, that's why I don't have it at my school... :)
Old 10-18-2008, 04:34 PM

4H is definitely a great place to learn so much.

Is there someone in your church who sews? There is probably an older woman who would love to mentor you. Just ask.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:07 PM

I was just about to suggest the same thing, mary! Is there a quilt/sewing/craft circle at your church? They are great places to learn. Or maybe just a woman who sews and is willing to teach you. If your family is part of a homeschool group, there may be a family in the group who sews. You could possibly work out some lessons in exchange for babysitting.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:07 PM

LOL I knew you were gonna say you are home schooled! The school might let you take the class anyway, it's worth a phone call, with your parents blessing of course. I know our school lets home schoolers come in for some classes, usually the electives like art, band, choir, and PE too. Like I said it may be something you can ask your parents to check into.

The 4H idea is a good one as well as the church. You may also want to look up your nearest quilt guild, I'm sure they'd love to have you.
Renee
Old 10-18-2008, 05:55 PM

Quilt Guilds are usually everywhere. Check with the fabric stores for who to contact. One or more of the members will no doubt be happy to help you. Too bad you are so far away from me....

judee
Old 10-18-2008, 07:33 PM

4-H is where I learned and my daughter learned to sew. The county extension office should have some information for classes. Being homeschooled do you have contact with other homeschooled families and home ec or something like it could be one of your classes? I know my cousin home-schooled and they did all kinds of interesting classes using everyday life skills.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:10 PM

Quilter101: I was a home economics teacher at the beginning of my teaching career (and went back to school for elementary education). Today, home economics programs have drastically changed (and it's a shame). H.E. is now called Family something or other. Anyway, you could try the county extension office or the 4-H. If they don't have an organized adult program, perhaps they could suggest somewhere or someone that could help you. But you know what, if you are really sincere about learning to "sew well" you can do it on your own. Do you know anyone who sews? Set up a little session with them and sit and sew for a while. The more you sew, the more proficient you will become. I wish that I was near you. I would love to sit and sew with you. I still get calls from sewers in a bind and we "sew by phone." :lol: Drop me a PM and we can sew per internet. There are good books with a wealth of info that can help you with basics.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:30 AM

You can also visit Pattern Review.com. it's a wonderful forum for everything sewing related and they offer online classes.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:47 PM

What part of the country do you live in, north, south east or west? Maybe it is close to one of us and we could help you.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:04 PM

http://sewing.about.com/od/beginner1/bb/sewing101.htm

Here's a good beginning, above as well as all of the previous suggestions in this thread. I made all of my clothes when I was in high school (late 60's graduated in'71). Took 5 years of Home Economics just to get that new out fit in the fall and spring....hehehe. The above link is a great start and if you get stuck with something just ask.

Linda D.