Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Room Floor

My sewing room is in the lower level of our condo. We have cold winters and the floor gets cold. I have a thicker pile carpet now (that's what came with the condo) but I'm looking at those flat carpet tiles. Has anyone used them. I thought it might be warmer than laminate and have still have some of the advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    I have carpet & have no problem with pins but it is always covered with threads. I don't care for laminate and plan to use cork when I switch rooms. My sewing room is upstairs & hardwood would be too loud.
    This is exactly my feeling. I used to have hard floors upstairs and the sound of feet down was awful. Now it is my sewing room and I like the warmth of the carpet as well as the quiet. I have no problem with pins and I vacuum often.
    Jean in MI

Blog Entries
    When we built the addition that became my sewing room, there was no question. Laminate flooring. The only thing I would do different, would have put a thicker vapor barrier down to help make the floor a little warmer in winter. Two pairs of ragg socks works tho

My daughter put laminated wood in her kitchen. Being a good Mom, I didn`t say any thing. Then the day came for me to help her out for a while, and was that floor ever easy to clean. If I wouldn`t live in the North country, I would have it in every room. Don`t get me wrong, I love my location & my over 150 yr home, but it gets cold on your feet in the house in winter.

I love my carpeted sewing room floor! Just shows how different we all are!! LOL!

I sew in a bedroom with a low loft berber carpeting. I use one of the heavy plastic mats from an office supply store where my chair is. I can roll around from the sewing machine to the ironing board to the cutting board. Works great.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Blog Entries
    I love my hardwood floor where I sew. Makes cleaning/sweeping so easy and my chair rolls easily around. Plus, if I drop a pin or something, I can hear it.My Moms house where I grew up was new when they bought it, promptly laid carpet everywhere, then when we grew up and moved out, decided to replace it. When the carpet guy ripped it out, commented to my mom she was crazy for laying carpet again over such beautiful hard wood floors, so she had him re-finish the floor and bought a lovely area rug. She never regretted it. It was so nice!

Quote Originally Posted by ljfox View Post
    What kind of floor is in your sewing room? My son is moving out soon and I will take over his bedroom as my new sewing room. His room has carpet and my current sewing room has hardwood floors. I plan on ripping out his carpet since it is ?? years old and don't know if it is better to replace it or go with the wood floor. I won't know the condition of the floor until the carpet comes out since it is the carpet that was in there when I bought the house. I could have it refinished or go with new carpet. What are the advantages or disadvantages to both choices?
    I'd take almost anything over carpet. Laminate, ceramic tile, hardwood, even vinyl.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I have had both. Prefer the laminate. So much easier to clean up my itty, bitty scraps off of. Less time cleaning means more time to create.
    sew1

Blog Entries
    I have tile in my sewing room. I really like it. Wood would be nice too. My husband installed some cork flooring for some people, and I would consider that in a new sewing room as well. It's pricey, but very comfortable and easy on the back, especially if you need to stand for a while either cutting or pressing. Easy to clean as well.
    "A day patched with quilting seldom unravels."
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...C092AD2FC3.png

Blog Entries
    I have vinyl planks that look like timber and my daughter has tiles. She told me she likes my floor better than hers as it's totally level and doesn't mark as easily as her tiles can. I think I would go with the timber if it's in good enough condition to be used.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Laminate that looks darn close to ceramic tile ...love it.

I have an 1850's house so carpet is warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Missus Fear View Post
    ..... thread tangles in your vacuum.....
    I read somewhere to get a new toilet bowl brush and use it to swipe the threads before vacuuming. Works for me and I have a magnetic wand from an automotive store to pick up stray pins.

piney

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
    I love my carpeted sewing room floor! Just shows how different we all are!! LOL!
    When a part of the basement was converted to a qulting studio, I wanted laminate. However, the concrete was somewhat uneven and it would have been costly to get it level. We ended up with a good quality carpet with a tight nap installed over special padding with a moisture barrier. Love it because I stand while quilting at my longarm machine. My knees and legs do not hurt at all. I use a lightweight vacuum cleaner after each major project, switching to the heavy duty vacuum cleaner...a happy medium.

I have laminate and would never go to carpet - it hides too many pins - things that go "ouch" in your foot.
    Pat

I have wood, love it If you pull up the carpet and have concrete, painted concrete is in style now. If you have wood, I would not replace it, clean and wax and see how it looks.
    It is what it is ...deal with it.

the ideal flooring would be cork: softens the blows for those irons that get knocked off, is hypoallergenic, helps keep the room an even temperature, is easily rolled upon in a sewing chair, the threads etc can be swept up and it is easy to clean. If i couldn't afford that then i'd go some other kind of hard texture with area rugs for the quilting buddies to sleep upon while they keep me company.

Blog Entries
    We have faux wood! Actually, it's but looks like wood, because I have so many allergies, including dust! Find the vinyl so easy to clean. No special treatment and no worries if scissors drop, etc.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I took over a spare bedroom and lined the outer walls with my sewing machines and tubs...the middle of my floor is for laying out my quilt...it's a carpeted floor..but it's no different than when I had to move furniture in the living room for this same process of putting the quilt top together for quilting....

Floor....in my sewing room-??? It's been so long since I've seen it, can't remember. It is a mess. Honestly it is tan carpet.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do.

It is true pins hide in the carpet. Then they stab me in the feet sometimes.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Since my sewing room is off the garage- its cement , which I just love; no more pins in the carpet!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Anything your heart desires, just not carpet : )
    Amythyst

I have laminate in my sewing room but carpet under the quilting machine where I stand for long periods and mostly because it is in the family room. I really prefer the wood. For pins and thread and the wheels on my chair. And so much easier to clean.

DO NOT replace carpet, even cement is better, easier to clean!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast