Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sewing Room Floor

As someone else mentioned, I would investigate cork flooring. What I've seen looks great, mutes sound, and you could still find the pins. I also do a sweep with a magnet from time to time!
    At one time, I was in a converted garage with cement so I had the epoxy flooring put down. That was awesome! Although I don't think you could do that inside the house.

We had luxury vinyl installed and I love it. It's easy to keep and find dropped needles and pins

Blog Entries
    I have white ceramic tile in one area of my sewing room and carpet in the other area. (two rooms opened in one) I like the ceramic tile area the best. I have the cushioned floor mats on the tile by the ironing and cutting tables. The carpet absorbs the noise and gives some cozy to the room. The tile gives a bright clean look.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I would go for wood .Clean up is easyer.

Concrete and it's not bad. I may put down some laminate or vinyl to soften it up a bit, warm it, but my chair rolls easily and dropped pins are easy to find. It looks like just about everyone recommends getting rid of the carpet
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

I have tile in sewing room. However, I am always cold and I put in carpet. I love it! I will say it is harder to clean but much nicer on my feet and to keep me warm.

Blog Entries
    Sewmary's right. Carpet is a nightmare. I hate, hate, hate mine for all the reasons Laura said. Would rip it up & put down wood in a heartbeat if I could afford it.
    Judy

Absolutely go with a wood floor! If you have a rolling chair, you will have a much easier time using it on a wood floor. I actually broke a rolling sewing chair that came with my machine cabinet, because of the fact I have carpeting on the floor and it was so hard to push that chair around!!! Now obviously there are carpets with shorter naps which may not pose a problem, but if the carpet has much of a nap at all you will have to really push to get that chair to move where you want it to go!

Love my hardwood floors DH put down.
    Just use swiffer for threads and magnetic extension wand for needles and pins and they show up easily.

I have short loop carpet in mine. It was there when we bought the house. Works great! Things don't get lost in it, my chair rolls just fine, and it's warmer. I think it muffles sound as well.

I used to have a carpeted sewing/quilting room, and now have hardwood floors. It isheavenly as a swift sweep with the broom fixes up all the messies!!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

I have laminate in mine and love it. I keep a swifter with quilt batting remnants in it to keep the floor tidy. Works great.

I have laminated flooring and it is alot better then having carpet. My computer & desk is in the same room and I can move around with my deck chair easy.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    I built our retirement home a few years ago and purposely chose a wood floor. I am able to find anything I drop...LOL! Plus, my sewing chair has wheels so I can roll around to grab whatever I need.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Blog Entries
    Wood or tile.

J J
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I'd vote for a hard surface floor. I have cork tiles. There are many colors to pick from, mine are a medium honey color. The cork is covered with an acrylic surface so water damage to the cork isn't an issue. Vac and damp mop very occasionally is all the care needed.

Power Poster
    i hsve carpet and big plastic under my chair and table !!!
    QUILTNMO

Vat
    I have had ceramic tile for years. Had carpet and didn't like it, when you drop a pin you don't hear it fall and you could step on it and then bad news. Love my tile, easy clean! ! !

Blog Entries
    I am just today having tile installed in my sewing room. I can't wait for it to be finished. I had carpeting in there, but it was always a mess due to overspray of spray starch, etc. We are matching this room up with the hallway tile (couldn't believe I found the perfect match) and I know I will love it.
    JudyG

EC
    Definitely wood!

Would definitely go with wood or tile before not carpet. So much easier to clean and see things on the floor.

I have a hardwood floor in the room where my treadle machines live and vinyl tile in where my Horn quilters cabinet is.
    Its a lot easier just to run the vacuum, no worries about pins in carpeting.

Blog Entries
    Wood is the best, easy to clean up.
    Veronica

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have carpet right now and hate it I agree with all the comments for the same reasons...I would go hard wood floors.
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White.
    Deb

I've had both, and I prefer the carpet. It's easier to clean, and when pins fall, they stay there and don't shoot all over the floor. Also, my sewing chair doesn't roll all over on carpet, either. I think I'm the only person in the world who prefers carpet to hardwood!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast