• Sewing room and stash

Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM
    Banned

HELP me do that to mine!

PS. what are you using for those FQ's?
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-132548.jpe  
    Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Monie
    Wow what a stack I am very new just went to WM and got a lot of solids for $1.50 a yard I have a spare bedroom for my sewing room wish I had your stach. Great how long did it take u to get that much?
    Several years ago, I was introduced to the idea of a "stash". Before that, if I wanted to make a quilt, I'd just get fabric for that project. But I saw the value in having a fabric "library" to choose from and I started building my stash. That was about 9 or 10 years ago. I started collecting purple fabrics whenever I saw them on sale because my daughter wanted a scrappy purple quilt. I would buy 1/2 yard pieces and before I knew it, I had a big pile of purples. Then I started with other colors on sale, and usually bought 1 yard pieces. I started looking for homespuns for a quilt I saw in a magazine and same thing happened - I ended up with a huge pile of homespuns! I wanted to build my stash while I was working so after I retired, I could sew to my heart's content, and that's exactly what I did! So, I guess the answer to your question is that it took me about 10 years and most of it was bought on sale.
    Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 PM

Hey Pam,
    You are my idol! I am really paying attention to what you are doing, because I am half way to where you are! I too love the project bins. I have one small primitive little shelf that holds 4 of the project bins now, but I want to have hubby make something similar to what your hubby did! My next question is...are your scrap drawers the 12X12 size? (roughly) I think that might work for me. I need to go check out Bonnie Hunters website. Is that how you cut yours?
    Keep up the good work!
    Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 PM

Very nice and I wish I had half that amount of stash
    Old 02-14-2011, 09:08 PM

really neat but I see some blank spots you need to fill }:o)
    Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
    Hey Pam,
    You are my idol! I am really paying attention to what you are doing, because I am half way to where you are! I too love the project bins. I have one small primitive little shelf that holds 4 of the project bins now, but I want to have hubby make something similar to what your hubby did! My next question is...are your scrap drawers the 12X12 size? (roughly) I think that might work for me. I need to go check out Bonnie Hunters website. Is that how you cut yours?
    Keep up the good work!
    Yes, the drawers are roughly 12 x 12 and about 3" deep I think. I love Bonnie Hunter's website, but actually, I cut all my scraps before I found her site. She also cuts some of her scraps into "bricks" which I didn't do. I only have strips and squares. I started cutting strips for any fabric longer than 12". I cut each piece into the largest size strips I could get out of it. If it was smaller than 12" I usually cut it into squares. When I'm making a scrappy quilt, I pick out the colors I need and then cut the strips into the size pieces I need if it's not strip pieced.
    Old 02-14-2011, 10:09 PM

I used to keep my fabrics on the same types of shelves. DH stacked the shelves together and drilled holes through them and then inserted dowel rods through to hold the stacks straight! I love your scrap storage---sew very neat!
    Old 02-14-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    HELP me do that to mine!

PS. what are you using for those FQ's?
    I would love to dig into that stash and start organizing!!! I found an old crate thing at a garage sale for $1. I cleaned and painted it, hung it on the wall and stacked up my fat quarters in it.
    Old 02-15-2011, 12:23 AM

You are way more organized than I am. I'm also envious of the space you have.
    Old 02-15-2011, 04:43 AM

Beautiful job! I don't feel so bad about my stash now. Am in the process of putting all the year's end bargains on fabric boards so I can be organized. You have done a fantastic job.