Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewing room and a studio

What makes a sewing room a studio? I went to a friends house and she asked if I wanted to see her studio. It looked just like a sewing room to me. Can anyone please list the differences?

Thanks, Debbie

Blog Entries
    the main differences between a sewing room and a studio are

(1) ego
    (2) perspective
    (3) self confidence

if you believe your product is art, wherever you work is your studio - even if it's a cardboard box in the garage. :wink:

well I'm glad you cleared that up! I had pondered that question myself just not enough to ask! Now if you need me I'll be in my studio!

and I will be in the middle of my mess lol :P

If I took time to clean it, I'd nver get to sew :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL - I call mine a sewing room or studio depending on my mood and what I am doing. It's also where I keep my computer, my loom, many books, and other things. It has good lighting (with two big windows and a little balcony outside and it opens with double doors into our bedroom) and one wall is a "design wall" - like a bulletin board that covers most of the wall so I can plan quilts, garments, etc. as well as pin up notes and swatches and patterns. I do a lot of photo editing (for the garments and quilts I sell, mostly, and for my website), and I use my autoCAD program to draft quilt patterns.

I do use it for designing and creating as much as sewing - possibly MORE than the sewing time! But usually the words "sewing room" come out of my mouth before "studio" because "studio" sounds a little pretentious. :lol:

I have always wanted a studio and today my sewing room became one. My family will surely make fun if I start referring to it as a studio. I do love to give them a reason to laugh though!

I cannot wait to have my own studio. For now, my sewing room is in a small room in the house. After we build a house...we will also build my "studio" LOL. haha

Heh. I just say "Mmmmkay, I'm gonna go sew..." and they all know to find me at the top of the stairs...

I was told that any space where art of any kind is created that it's a studio. I don't mind sounding hoity-toity - I have a sewing studio. LOL

Hmmmmm I guess the basement has now become my studio rofl

Margie

I started out an artist and then learned to sew. My machine sits atop my art table and my fabric is surrounded by paints, brushes, face paints, pastels, pencils, portfolios, oil paint, adhesives, razor blades, paper of all kinds, pads, beads, craft supplies, charcoal, drafting supplies, acrylic mediums, rubber stamps, watercolors, gouache ... basically a lifetime of art supplies; so, I get to call it a studio - no matter what comes out of that room.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ

(1) ego
    (2) perspective
    (3) self confidence

if you believe your product is art, wherever you work is your studio - even if it's a cardboard box in the garage. :wink:
    :lol: :lol: :lol: YEP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Margie
    Hmmmmm I guess the basement has now become my studio rofl

Margie
    Well, if your basement is where your create your art, then I agree, by definition it is a studio. Things are really looking up around here.

It's fun to have some kind of moniker -- I call my sewing area the Quilt Cave. My husband is a musician in his spare time (computer whiz by day, guitar rocker by night, lol) and he does call his "music room" his studio -- he has recording equipment and tons of instruments along with his computer, etc. He is the only one in our household (we have 5 kids) with their very own room for their very own hobby! And it has a door, no less!

Garage/shop = mancave

Sewing room/studio/don't bothermeordieroom = bright airy female cave

:lol: 8-) :shock: :mrgreen:

Banned
    Mine is a complete separate building in my backyard and I do call it my studio. It is has nothing but sewing machines and quilting supplies, very comfy and I can relax and let my creative side come out and enjoy myself.

My Garage is more of a work place thats where I make my living. But its a nice hangout on Friday nights when my buddies come over and we sit around eating pizza tossing a few back and work on something of ours.

So I guess I would consider myself lucky to have two places to call my own.

Billy

My sewing room/computer room is shared with my hubby. It is our small spare bedroom converted to a computer sewing room combo. Both of us have our desks and computers in here, plus my sewing machines. At least part of them....I have 3 more in our bedroom. In the meantime,,,,we call this room the Creation room..Ha!

I waited all these years until the kids grew up and left home to have my very own sewing spare. Well, what did I do? I filled up the spare rooms by moving my Mom and uncle in with us.
    So, I have to wait a while longer for my own space. I would still move them in anyway (I think)...

Long ago I thought a Studio was seperate from the home. LOL My sewing/quilting room one day became the Sweat Shop. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gramof6
    Long ago I thought a Studio was seperate from the home. LOL My sewing/quilting room one day became the Sweat Shop. LOL
    LOL

I have a Studio.....

when we moved into the house, I used the formal dining room

after a few months of the kids NOT using the Rumpus room, I "confiscated" it

When we had a home-business, the room got doors

now it holds the majority of quilty stuff, and is my Studio.

don't think it is pretentious, just a case of name-it-and-claim-it

....kids know what I'm doing when I'm in the studio, gives a little more weight to my craft

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ

(1) ego
    (2) perspective
    (3) self confidence

If others believe my "product" is art ... hmmmmm ... my friends and family seem to like the presents I give them.

I'm heading back to my lil "sewing room".

I'm with you gals, it can be called whatever you want. Mine is the dungeon, when I have to get things done I don't want to do, and the sewing room, that is where I 'make things.' Now, if I feel prestiges, then I guess it could be called a studio, but I like just calling it my sewing room, and I LOVE IT. It has everything right where I want it and then some. Happy sewing in what ever room you have...Joanie

I tend to think of a studio as a dedicated space; its only function is for sewing and storing of supplies. I think of a sewing room as the room where the sewing machine is, although it may well serve other purposes too. My sewing room doubles as a spare bedroom for when I have guests, which is not all that often, so I call it the sewing room rather than the spare bedroom, even though it is both.

Mine will always be a studio! I grew up in a studio (my father was a professional photogapher) so there was NEVER a question about what I would call my creative space. For me though, there is no ego involved..... just perspective and fond memories.

And if I were true to my past, I would actually have to call it my ***Too Dee Doo*** because I could never say studio when I was little. My mom and dad fondly called it that, and my sister and I still talk of it that way!

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A STUDIO OR BETTER YET, A TOO DEE DOO!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast