Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room >

Sewing Room

Sewing Room

Old 08-10-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Joyce
Where is greendale? I'm in Midland MI. Your in Midland Twp.
Welcome to the board. You will love it here.
I don't live in the city of Midland, but I do live in the county of Midland, hence, Greendale Township.
I am about 15 miles west of downtown.
Chippewa River Rd dead-ends at our driveway which is a long one.[/quote]

I'm in Homer Twp I have a feeling were pretty close to each other.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 AM
MNM

Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
I want to thank you all for your advice. I knew you all would come through for me. If you could see this place you would not be jealous. It is a lot of work. It had been used for a rent house for the last 7 years. The last one was a heavy smoker so I'm scrubbing walls and ceilings to paint....not a spot in the kitchen without a grease spot. If I can pull this off I will post pictures but it will take time. I've been scrubbing for nearly a month now. Hard on the old arms and shoulders. Thanks again
Hope you take before pictures, I always forget to do that and then I can't gloat about what a good job we did. I'm sure we would all like to watch the progress and lift a glass of something when you are done.

MNM Central Calif
Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by MNM
I want to thank you all for your advice. I knew you all would come through for me. If you could see this place you would not be jealous. It is a lot of work. It had been used for a rent house for the last 7 years. The last one was a heavy smoker so I'm scrubbing walls and ceilings to paint....not a spot in the kitchen without a grease spot. If I can pull this off I will post pictures but it will take time. I've been scrubbing for nearly a month now. Hard on the old arms and shoulders. Thanks again
Hope you take before pictures, I always forget to do that and then I can't gloat about what a good job we did. I'm sure we would all like to watch the progress and lift a glass of something when you are done.

MNM Central Calif
Thank you, yes I took a few pictures, part of which are on here. I wish I had taken more. I do have the walls and ceiling scrubbed down now. Still have to Kilz and Paint. Suppose to have a metal roof put on next week. I'm calling it "My Money Pit" now. Still LOTS to do.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:01 PM

Cakelsy - how is your sewing house coming along? I hope you haven't worked yourself ill with this project! Best wishes - hoping for more pictures soon - J
Old 08-17-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by jbud2
Cakelsy - how is your sewing house coming along? I hope you haven't worked yourself ill with this project! Best wishes - hoping for more pictures soon - J
It's coming along....slowly. But they are suppose to put my metal roof on tomorrow if there is no chance of rain. They were supposed to start Monday but we had rain.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:25 AM

Cakelsey,
I've been wondering how your sewing house is going? Did you get the roof on? Thank you so much for sharing your project with us. If I lived close by I would come and help!
We once scrubbed, cleaned and painted a house that was attached by a hallway to a restaurant that burned. The firemen had broken in the door to check for occupants. The house wasn't burned, but the smoke from the other building damaged everything! We didn't live there then, but was able to get it for extremely low rent ($150/mo) because we cleaned & painted everything inside & out. The landlord was so happy about it that he never raised the rent in the 5 years we lived there! An out-of-state job required us to move.
I said all that to tell you I know how much work it is to scrub and paint an entire house, hope all is going well.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Grammy o'5
Cakelsey,
I've been wondering how your sewing house is going? Did you get the roof on? Thank you so much for sharing your project with us. If I lived close by I would come and help!
We once scrubbed, cleaned and painted a house that was attached by a hallway to a restaurant that burned. The firemen had broken in the door to check for occupants. The house wasn't burned, but the smoke from the other building damaged everything! We didn't live there then, but was able to get it for extremely low rent ($150/mo) because we cleaned & painted everything inside & out. The landlord was so happy about it that he never raised the rent in the 5 years we lived there! An out-of-state job required us to move.
I said all that to tell you I know how much work it is to scrub and paint an entire house, hope all is going well.
Hi Grammy, yes I got the roof on and the next day the appraisal district was taking a picture of it. Wonder how much they are going to raise my taxes. Sounds like you went through a lot too but I'd say the low rent was worth it. It would be hard to find a deal like that nowadays. I'll tell you I wish we had stock in caulk. Seems like we buy all Walmart has everytime we go. We have used so much.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 AM

Carol,

How is your quilting house coming along? I can't believe it was so many months ago that you posted about this. Hope all is well ~ J
Old 05-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Google Goddess

Carol,

Wow sound like you will have fun in your sewing studio "studio house" that is fantastic, have fun!

Craftybear

I need to ask a couple of questions. I've just bought the small house next door to me to hopefully turn into my sewing craft house. The house was built in 1940, has no central heat or air. My first question is this... will having window air conditioners affect my fabric, sewing machine and serger? Will having an old Deerborn gas heater affect them? Also when I hopefully get organized I had planned on putting vinyl or a clear shower curtain liner on the front of my bookcases to keep the dust off my fabric. Would this be okay? I would appreciate any advice you ladies could give me. Thank you Carol
Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 PM

Jbud2 and Craftybear, thanks for asking..I do finally have one working room in the house.I will try to attach a couple of pictures of the progress. I wound up putting sheers in front of all my bookcases and thread racks. I have a peg board on one wall. Hopefully will have more room to spread out when we get another room ready.

sewing room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]199905[/ATTACH]

fabric bookcases
[ATTACH=CONFIG]199906[/ATTACH]

couple of thread racks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]199907[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-199899.jpe   attachment-199900.jpe   attachment-199901.jpe