Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room >

Sewing Room

Sewing Room

Old 07-27-2010, 12:45 PM

I need to ask a couple of questions. I've just bought the small house next door to me to hopefully turn into my sewing craft house. The house was built in 1940, has no central heat or air. My first question is this... will having window air conditioners affect my fabric, sewing machine and serger? Will having an old Deerborn gas heater affect them? Also when I hopefully get organized I had planned on putting vinyl or a clear shower curtain liner on the front of my bookcases to keep the dust off my fabric. Would this be okay? I would appreciate any advice you ladies could give me. Thank you Carol
Old 07-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

I would suggest using a fabric to cover your shelves that would also keep out the sunshine so you don't end up with bleached out spots on your fabrics :wink:

I don't see how a window unit would hurt your fabrics, I don't have a clue about the gas heater...
Old 07-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

The one thing I wonder , does that type of heater have a smell . like a kerosen ?

But I am excited for you , how lucky to be able to have a whole house :mrgreen:
Old 07-27-2010, 12:56 PM

Lucky you . . .a whole house dedicated to sewing!!! :)

Neither the air conditioner nor the heater should pose a problem. However, depending on what part of Texas you're in, you might want to manage the humidity a bit. I'm in West Texas where it's considered high desert and very dry (most years, anyway) :D So need to add a little humidity in the house in the wintertime to protect wood furnishings, ie. sewing tables, cabinets and shelving. If you're in East or South Texas, it's VERY humid which can be pretty taxing on machines so you'll want to make sure the window unit does a good job of condensing the humidity and clearing it out.

Would love to see pictures of your finished "sewing house" :) And congratulations!!!!! :)
Old 07-27-2010, 12:59 PM

I would google about the gas heater or call a local gas heating dealer. I used window air cond. before I put in central. I thought it was a good thing.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Gas central heating uses the same gas as the floor heater. I don't see why there would be a problem. I had a window unit in my sewing room for several years before I had central air. Again the same cool air comes from both.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 PM

The window ac n heater are fine. I live in an older home too, and neither have affected my fabric. And just how WICKED COOL is it that you have a whole house for a sewing room!!!???? Im doing a big happy dance for you!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 PM

it is so nice to have a studio house just for your craft! I miss mine that I had in ND am sure you will love it!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:41 PM

A WHOLE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we are all jealous!! Can't wait to see pictures.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I would suggest using a fabric to cover your shelves that would also keep out the sunshine so you don't end up with bleached out spots on your fabrics :wink:

I don't see how a window unit would hurt your fabrics, I don't have a clue about the gas heater...
Thank you Amma, I may consider fabric but I was just wanting something I could see through. I don't think the sunshine will be a problem where the fabric will be.