Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room >

Sewing Room

Sewing Room

Old 07-27-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
The one thing I wonder , does that type of heater have a smell . like a kerosen ?

But I am excited for you , how lucky to be able to have a whole house :mrgreen:
I'll have to check that out. I hope it won't have a smell.It's just a gas heater.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
Lucky you . . .a whole house dedicated to sewing!!! :)

Neither the air conditioner nor the heater should pose a problem. However, depending on what part of Texas you're in, you might want to manage the humidity a bit. I'm in West Texas where it's considered high desert and very dry (most years, anyway) :D So need to add a little humidity in the house in the wintertime to protect wood furnishings, ie. sewing tables, cabinets and shelving. If you're in East or South Texas, it's VERY humid which can be pretty taxing on machines so you'll want to make sure the window unit does a good job of condensing the humidity and clearing it out.

Would love to see pictures of your finished "sewing house" :) And congratulations!!!!! :)
Thank you, another thing to consider. I live near Wichita Falls, about a mile from Oklahoma.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:26 PM

I want to thank you all for your advice. I knew you all would come through for me. If you could see this place you would not be jealous. It is a lot of work. It had been used for a rent house for the last 7 years. The last one was a heavy smoker so I'm scrubbing walls and ceilings to paint....not a spot in the kitchen without a grease spot. If I can pull this off I will post pictures but it will take time. I've been scrubbing for nearly a month now. Hard on the old arms and shoulders. Thanks again
Old 07-27-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
Thank you, another thing to consider. I live near Wichita Falls, about a mile from Oklahoma.
Then humidity will be a small factor . . .so you'll want to keep that in mind when shopping for a window unit as condenser capabilities will vary. Can't wait to show my hubby this thread when he gets home since he teases me for taking over the guest room . . .you're getting a whole house :D
Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
Then humidity will be a small factor . . .so you'll want to keep that in mind when shopping for a window unit as condenser capabilities will vary. Can't wait to show my hubby this thread when he gets home since he teases me for taking over the guest room . . .you're getting a whole house :D
Yes, my husband said I could have the house and he could have the yard. We were just tired of not knowing who would be renting it next. We've had some doozies over there. One renter even poisoned our dog. The house is only about 9 feet from my patio.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

I can't imagine having a whole house. You are so lucky. Post pics when you can.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:03 PM

Sounds like a dream "craft" home in the making. It will be fun filling it and decorating it from quilters eyes! Can't wait to see what you have done in the future! Congrats!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
A WHOLE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we are all jealous!! Can't wait to see pictures.
I agree, I don't even have my own room!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Wow your own quilt cottage! How fun! Sorry not good at answering your questions but hopefully some one can.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:16 PM

I have a friend that did this same exact thing! Her husband uses the "second" house next door as his train house. He has electric trains set up in different rooms and she has the dining room set up for hosting meetings for various groups she belongs too. They love it.