Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Room >
  • Sewing Room

• Sewing Room

Old 07-28-2010, 08:47 PM

I can sympathize with you we have just had some neighbors move out from next door to us, they were doozies too, a 24 yr. old mom with six, yes six kids all hers, and no twins, not sure about all dads though. Her grandmother lives on the other side of us. The house belongs to her Uncle and he is wanting to sell it. She lived rent free for three years , but when her Unce became unemployed and told her he needed some money, she got mad and said she would just move, she is starting to move things out. I told my DH that we need to buy it to keep our neighborhood and our house free from such in the future. I would like to add a breezeway between the two houses and give us a lot more room.That way he! he! he! I can make one great big room for sewing, and we can make him a good computer room. Our two children came in over the weekend when I told them about this, they both had great ideas about how we could join the houses and what we could do with the inside. Keep your fingers crossed for us too. But seriously, that house is exactly 6'8" from the side of our house. We have had vehicles scratched, plain garbage, dirty diapers, fast food trash, beer bottles, etc. in our front yard almost daily. We do not need this mess in the future. We were planning to fence our entire front in because of this. We are getting too old to deal with this.
    Something else that is good for cleaning walls like yours is Simple Green. My MIL used propane for heating and also smoked heavily, her walls were like those you showed, when it was cleaned it looked like that. Propany will cause more of a film than natural gas. Our central heat is natural gas and we do not have this problem.
    Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 PM

Do you think whoever lived there last ever took a bath? From the looks of that tub it hasn't been used in years.
    Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 PM

Please let me know when the "Quilt House" is ready for guests!!! :) ;)
    Old 07-29-2010, 03:50 AM

All your hard work will be worth the effort. One thought here--could you set up an area for quilters' day retreats? One of our quilt shops here in Fort Worth purchased adjacent space and allows groups to use it. The room is set up with long tables and plenty of plugs. Also an area for ironing boards and cutting mats. The LQS does not charge for using the space on the theory we will probably purchase something while we're there, duh! This is where our group goes once every couple of months to do hospice quilts. You might be able to rent your space if the price is reasonable.
    Old 07-29-2010, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
    I can sympathize with you we have just had some neighbors move out from next door to us, they were doozies too, a 24 yr. old mom with six, yes six kids all hers, and no twins, not sure about all dads though. Her grandmother lives on the other side of us. The house belongs to her Uncle and he is wanting to sell it. She lived rent free for three years , but when her Unce became unemployed and told her he needed some money, she got mad and said she would just move, she is starting to move things out. I told my DH that we need to buy it to keep our neighborhood and our house free from such in the future. I would like to add a breezeway between the two houses and give us a lot more room.That way he! he! he! I can make one great big room for sewing, and we can make him a good computer room. Our two children came in over the weekend when I told them about this, they both had great ideas about how we could join the houses and what we could do with the inside. Keep your fingers crossed for us too. But seriously, that house is exactly 6'8" from the side of our house. We have had vehicles scratched, plain garbage, dirty diapers, fast food trash, beer bottles, etc. in our front yard almost daily. We do not need this mess in the future. We were planning to fence our entire front in because of this. We are getting too old to deal with this.
    Something else that is good for cleaning walls like yours is Simple Green. My MIL used propane for heating and also smoked heavily, her walls were like those you showed, when it was cleaned it looked like that. Propany will cause more of a film than natural gas. Our central heat is natural gas and we do not have this problem.
    Hi Gerbie, I hope you get to buy your house too. Mine is only 900 sq ft. I wish I could do a breezeway but my patio is at the side of this house (where my husband was working on the windows). When my neighbor passed away we had a metal wall put up between the houses because we did not know who would be living there and besides we would have to cut an opening in the side of the house to connect. Maybe one day I can at least put a covered walkway to the back door.
    Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bren
    All your hard work will be worth the effort. One thought here--could you set up an area for quilters' day retreats? One of our quilt shops here in Fort Worth purchased adjacent space and allows groups to use it. The room is set up with long tables and plenty of plugs. Also an area for ironing boards and cutting mats. The LQS does not charge for using the space on the theory we will probably purchase something while we're there, duh! This is where our group goes once every couple of months to do hospice quilts. You might be able to rent your space if the price is reasonable.
    Hi Bren, no the house is not that big. It's only 900 sq ft, old and not enough plugs. The more I think about all I will need to put in there the smaller it gets. LOL
    Old 07-29-2010, 08:24 AM

I am also from Texas. Central. Too much humidity may make mold so it does need to be controlled. I also found out that if you have electronic or computer machines they need to have consistent temperature. I ruined my computer machine by leaving it in my room that is not attached to the house. It got too hot and too cold in there and ruined the monitor screen. I put in a window unit that is a heater and A/C all in one unit, but it does add to the utility bill. A gas heater does put out a greasy film over time. Electric heaters might be a better choice. Maybe it would just be cheaper to add central in the long haul if that if possible. Your comfort is important too so you can enjoy what you are doing. Congratulations on your purchase.
    Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Owllady
    I am also from Texas. Central. Too much humidity may make mold so it does need to be controlled. I also found out that if you have electronic or computer machines they need to have consistent temperature. I ruined my computer machine by leaving it in my room that is not attached to the house. It got too hot and too cold in there and ruined the monitor screen. I put in a window unit that is a heater and A/C all in one unit, but it does add to the utility bill. A gas heater does put out a greasy film over time. Electric heaters might be a better choice. Maybe it would just be cheaper to add central in the long haul if that if possible. Your comfort is important too so you can enjoy what you are doing. Congratulations on your purchase.
    Thank you, do you like your heater a/c unit? I still need to get one more window unit. Carol
    Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 AM

First hubby and I had a couple rentals. Had a renter once that lived like that...you poor thing. He was some kind of mechanic and never cleaned the tub or toilet in the two years he lived in the place plus he smoked. The stove had to be thrown out...you could not clean it. I got sick from the chemicals when I first tried. It would have taken a commercial crew with industrial products to clean it.

The house was about 800-900SF. We gutted the house and started from scratch rather than attempt to clean it. Of course, he never paid the last couple months rent and he acted like it was no big deal when you talked to him.

Never will I own a rental again.

I am not a super duper neat housekeeper but it is TRULY amazing how some people live.
    Old 07-29-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
    Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
    Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
    Thank you, another thing to consider. I live near Wichita Falls, about a mile from Oklahoma.
    Then humidity will be a small factor . . .so you'll want to keep that in mind when shopping for a window unit as condenser capabilities will vary. Can't wait to show my hubby this thread when he gets home since he teases me for taking over the guest room . . .you're getting a whole house :D
    Yes, my husband said I could have the house and he could have the yard. We were just tired of not knowing who would be renting it next. We've had some doozies over there. One renter even poisoned our dog. The house is only about 9 feet from my patio.
    i also have a small rental house on my proprty,& have had dreams of turning it into a sewing "house"i'm sure we could get together & compare horror tales about renters!!!unfortunately,i need the income ! FORTUNATELY i found a young couple about 31/2 yrs ago,& i'm thinking about adopting them!!! they do ALL the upkeep w/o being asked or told.i also have a larger house rented on the same property,they take care of it ,too![i do pay them ,of course,but just knowing i don't have to worry about anything is more than worth what little they charge me!]i swear if they ever have a baby,i'll put on an add. to keep them!
    i've lived in the biggest house since 1972,& rented out the other 2.have NEVER had tenants like this couple!love them to death.
    thanx for letting me vent,dar