Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Room >
  • Sewing Room

• Sewing Room

Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
    If you would use a stain blocker - like Kilz - you wouldn't have had to wash the walls or ceilings. kilz is used to cover water marks Etc. It seals stains so they won't bleed through the new paint. Grease Lightening should remove the grease, or the new Dawn Direct Foam or good ole ammonia.
    best stuff on the market !!!
    Old 07-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome
    First hubby and I had a couple rentals. Had a renter once that lived like that...you poor thing. He was some kind of mechanic and never cleaned the tub or toilet in the two years he lived in the place plus he smoked. The stove had to be thrown out...you could not clean it. I got sick from the chemicals when I first tried. It would have taken a commercial crew with industrial products to clean it.
    Sounds like about the same deal. This one I think was there 2 yrs and left owing rent. Of course it was not my rent house. That's why my husband said I could have the house when we bought it. He has never wanted rent property. And talk about the stove. I don't think yours could have been any worse than this one. I just wish I had taken a picture of it before. I was going to throw it out but decided to clean it. It took a LOT of scrubbing but I did it. Looks pretty good now. I think it is still the old stove my neighbor had before she passed away. I used to go over and help her out after I quit work about 16 years ago. I think she would be glad I have her house now. Looks like I have posted in the middle of yours but I don't know how to fix it. Sorry, Carol
    The house was about 800-900SF. We gutted the house and started from scratch rather than attempt to clean it. Of course, he never paid the last couple months rent and he acted like it was no big deal when you talked to him.

Never will I own a rental again.

I am not a super duper neat housekeeper but it is TRULY amazing how some people live.
    Old 07-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by dar627742
    Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
    Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
    Thank you, another thing to consider. I live near Wichita Falls, about a mile from Oklahoma.
    Then humidity will be a small factor . . .so you'll want to keep that in mind when shopping for a window unit as condenser capabilities will vary. Can't wait to show my hubby this thread when he gets home since he teases me for taking over the guest room . . .you're getting a whole house :D
    Yes, my husband said I could have the house and he could have the yard. We were just tired of not knowing who would be renting it next. We've had some doozies over there. One renter even poisoned our dog. The house is only about 9 feet from my patio.
    i also have a small rental house on my proprty,& have had dreams of turning it into a sewing "house"i'm sure we could get together & compare horror tales about renters!!!unfortunately,i need the income ! FORTUNATELY i found a young couple about 31/2 yrs ago,& i'm thinking about adopting them!!! they do ALL the upkeep w/o being asked or told.i also have a larger house rented on the same property,they take care of it ,too![i do pay them ,of course,but just knowing i don't have to worry about anything is more than worth what little they charge me!]i swear if they ever have a baby,i'll put on an add. to keep them!
    i've lived in the biggest house since 1972,& rented out the other 2.have NEVER had tenants like this couple!love them to death.
    thanx for letting me vent,dar
    Dar, you are very lucky to have your renters. You better keep them. This was not my rent house but we had to deal with the different people back there for about 7 years. If it had been someone like you have we would not have cared.
    Old 07-29-2010, 05:13 PM

I feel the same way if our neighbors had been good neighbors, I would not have a problem. But partying, allowing the kids to run wild between that house and great grandmas, usually through our yard. Horrible language most of the time. no pride about anything. I do hope we can get the house, it is not as large as ours, but is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath. I would want to keep two of the bedrooms and the bath and take out the kitchen and wash room fixtures. I would use their living room for a den and convert my den into a dining room, so many possibilities. If it is meant to be we will be able to get the house. If I knew good neighbors would be buying it and moving in I would have no problem, but I can only imagine what type of neighbors we would be getting. Good luck on cleaning, and don't work too hard at it.
    Old 07-29-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
    I feel the same way if our neighbors had been good neighbors, I would not have a problem. But partying, allowing the kids to run wild between that house and great grandmas, usually through our yard. Horrible language most of the time. no pride about anything. I do hope we can get the house, it is not as large as ours, but is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath. I would want to keep two of the bedrooms and the bath and take out the kitchen and wash room fixtures. I would use their living room for a den and convert my den into a dining room, so many possibilities. If it is meant to be we will be able to get the house. If I knew good neighbors would be buying it and moving in I would have no problem, but I can only imagine what type of neighbors we would be getting. Good luck on cleaning, and don't work too hard at it.
    Gerbie, I hope it works out for you too. On my street where I live (bought in 1966) I do have good neighbors. A lot have been here as long as I have. Since I live on the corner I know the people on both streets. They are all glad I bought the house too. They know what kind of people have lived there.
    Old 07-29-2010, 06:30 PM

I have read all the entries on this and am very intrigued. I know the house is small but to run window units constantly (okay, maybe 8-9months/yr) will be rather expensive won't it? If not running constantly, you will have all those humidity and temperature issues with your equipment. The natural gas floor heater will be fine with your fabrics but isn't it a little unsafe to leave burning when you are not there?
    Old 07-29-2010, 07:00 PM

congradulations on a whole house for quilting and sewing, and for piece of mind from not knowing what kind of neighbors will be there next I think you should name it "Sanctuary" Enjoy.
    Old 07-29-2010, 07:12 PM

I need to ask a couple of questions. I've just bought the small house next door to me to hopefully turn into my sewing craft house. The house was built in 1940, has no central heat or air. My first question is this... will having window air conditioners affect my fabric, sewing machine and serger? Will having an old Deerborn gas heater affect them? Also when I hopefully get organized I had planned on putting vinyl or a clear shower curtain liner on the front of my bookcases to keep the dust off my fabric. Would this be okay? I would appreciate any advice you ladies could give me. Thank you Carol
    My first thought is you live in TX. Isn't it humid there?
    If so I would use cloth in front of your fabrics. Shower curtan may keep moisture on the fabrics.
    Just a thought.
    Old 07-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Quilting Nana - it is only humid in parts of the state. East Tex, and the coast naturally have humid weather. Central Texas can have a lot of humidity.There is seldom any humidity where I live, and I'm not sure just how much CAKelsey would have in her area, since I have never lived around that area of the state. Our climate here in West Texas where I live is desert area, hot and dry.
    Old 07-30-2010, 04:52 AM

We bought a very pre-owned 5th wheel to use for a camp on a Gulf coast beach. One spot on the carpeted ceiling had a yellow ring where he had sat, night after night, smoking. Finally, got most of the yellow off with a steam carpet cleaner, but couldn't get the smoke smell gone. I spray soaked all the carpeted area on the ceiling with Odoban & whoopee! Odor was gone & hasn't returned for 2 years.

Odoban "eats" smoke odors. It is, also, a disinfectant. It smells like eucalyptus temporarily. My mother who is allergic to everything, can't tolerate it, but I love the freshness of the smell. It can be bought at WalMart or Sam's Club. The gallon from Sam's is dilutable. I have two inside dogs at my home. I steam clean my carpets about every 6 months. Between cleanings, after vacuuming, I spray my carpets & love the renewed freshness.