Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Room >
  • Sewing Room

• Sewing Room

Old 07-28-2010, 04:40 AM

I use window air in my studio, and it doesn't hurt anything. Don't know about gas as we put in ceiling electric heat.
    Old 07-28-2010, 05:25 AM

Is it possible that you could use a 210 electric baseboard type heaters? How cold does it get where you are? Are you going to be insulating your Craft House?
    Just something to think about.
    Old 07-28-2010, 05:39 AM

OMG! poisioning your dog. I think the police would be invovled along with the landlord. Great thinking on buying it. Good luck on cleaning but just think of the rewards when done.
    Old 07-28-2010, 05:46 AM

TSP (Tri sodium phosphate) is a great cleaner for something like this (ask me how I know :D ). Then a coat of Kilz or Bins sealer - NOT the latex variety- which will keep the stains from seeping through. Then your top coat. Its a lot of work, but it comes out beautiful. I owned a house that had been heated by wood stove and a kerosun plus smokers. Your pictures bring back not so fond memories :lol: The smell will come out..is there carpet anywhere? That's what really holds the smell. If you can take it out, great!! If that's not in the budget, steam clean now, and then again when you're finished cleaning. The Kilz sealer blocks some of the odor also. Don't you wonder how people can live that way?

Maybe a dehumidifier would be a help for the humidity? Might also keep the AC from working so hard. I think you would want a vented (outside) heater/furnace. My Dad had one in his woodshop in the garage which he salvaged from an old house trailer.FREE! It just needed a pipe through the wall and up for a chimney. No odor, and kept the place toasty :-D

I am so jealous. I have a large room for my stuff, but a whole cottage?? WOW, you are one lucky girl :lol: Please post progress pictures..I dream of remodeling an old house some day!!
    Old 07-28-2010, 06:50 AM

HI
    I live in Georgia and have had a clear plastic shower liner over my shelves for about 10 years now and love them.
    I agree, I used the shower liner instead of fabric because I wanted to see my "stuff".
    I also cut 2 slits in the liner (almost to the top) so that I could get to the shelves without having to move the entire curtain.
    Karen
    Old 07-28-2010, 07:02 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
    I want to thank you all for your advice. I knew you all would come through for me. If you could see this place you would not be jealous. It is a lot of work. It had been used for a rent house for the last 7 years. The last one was a heavy smoker so I'm scrubbing walls and ceilings to paint....not a spot in the kitchen without a grease spot. If I can pull this off I will post pictures but it will take time. I've been scrubbing for nearly a month now. Hard on the old arms and shoulders. Thanks again
    Use TSP on everything and repaint. Throw out all carpetting and carpetting pads. Ugh..I hear your pain and can smell it over here. Febreze, febreze and airing out.
    Old 07-28-2010, 07:10 AM

I am so sorry you had bad luck with your renters. I never understood people like that. I will always be welcomed back at any place I have ever rented. Poisoned your dog??? I would have ... well something .
    But you get a Whole House Studio !!! Congratulations and ENJOY. All the work will be worth it.
    Old 07-28-2010, 07:29 AM

Anna, have you tried a good sponge mop with a scrubber edge on it.
    I have found Magic Erasures from Mr. Clean is easier for me.
    I use Magic erasures on my fiberglass tub unit. I can't get down on my knees or bend over so I use my feet on the erasure. I have had to find a lot of work-arounds since hip & knee replacement.
    Old 07-28-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
    I need to ask a couple of questions. I've just bought the small house next door to me to hopefully turn into my sewing craft house. The house was built in 1940, has no central heat or air. My first question is this... will having window air conditioners affect my fabric, sewing machine and serger? Will having an old Deerborn gas heater affect them? Also when I hopefully get organized I had planned on putting vinyl or a clear shower curtain liner on the front of my bookcases to keep the dust off my fabric. Would this be okay? I would appreciate any advice you ladies could give me. Thank you Carol
    Lucky Lucky you!!! I think all of us are really jealous, even if it is a lot of work to clean up. I can only imagine what i would do with a whole house. Hug and kiss that hubby of yours, he's a real keeper!!
    Old 07-28-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Joyce
    Is it possible that you could use a 210 electric baseboard type heaters? How cold does it get where you are? Are you going to be insulating your Craft House?
    Just something to think about.
    HI Joyce,I'll probably just have to make do with the gas heater. I'm not sure the old house even has insulation. We are putting insulation in the west windows to close them off because it is so hot in the afternoons. I was over there helping care for my elderly neighbor before she passed and before it was sold as rent property so I kind of know what I'm dealing with....just an old drafty house.