Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Room >
  • Sewing Room

• Sewing Room

Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Wish we could come and help you....We've had problems with a rental too, but it wasn't next door! What a great deal for you. Maybe you can do one or two rooms at a time. As for worrying about the air conditioning and the heater, I don't think it's a serious problem. My grandmothers both made quilts and some survived (though unfortunately I don't have any!) Both lived in sultry, humid, sometimes cold East Texas...and survived with space heaters and big fans...
    Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by kathome
    DH and I used TSP to remove wallpaper the was pasted on without prepping the wall first. It was impossible to remove the wallpaper until the guy in Lowes told us to use TSP. That stuff is GREAT and will clean anything.

I also used it to clean the painted kitchen cabinets before re-painting (can't afford new) and again the stuff worked great.

My only advice and it's IMPORTANT, USE RUBBER GLOVES WHEN WORKING WITH TSP. That stuff can be really nasty on your skin. Since it's nasty on the skin I worried about it being nasty in my lungs so I made sure ALL THE WINDOWS WERE OPEN. Maybe I was too extreme, but better safe than sorry.

Another tip: When washing those disgusting walls (how could anyone live like that? and OMG the tub???? OMG) resist the urge to get up on the ladder and work your way down. The yucky water drips down the wall and makes more of a mess with streaks of dirt that are hard to remove. Start at the bottom and work your way up! Try it, you'll see it's easier.

Good luck. Can't wait to see the finished pics.
    Thanks Karen, I will try the TSP on the little bit of wallpaper in the kitchen. I hadn't thought of that. I have gone through a LOT of gloves in cleaning. The only thing I found to cut all the grease in the kitchen is Dawn Power Desolver. I'm sure I've gone through 6-8 bottles or more but it is great stuff. I used it on the stove, refrigerator, everything.The only thing is it strips part of the paint off but we will be painting anyway.

Greasey cabinets
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]69536[/ATTACH]

clean spot kitchen counter
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]69537[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-69531.jpe   attachment-69532.jpe  
    Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
    DH and I used TSP to remove wallpaper the was pasted on without prepping the wall first. It was impossible to remove the wallpaper until the guy in Lowes told us to use TSP. That stuff is GREAT and will clean anything.

I also used it to clean the painted kitchen cabinets before re-painting (can't afford new) and again the stuff worked great.

My only advice and it's IMPORTANT, USE RUBBER GLOVES WHEN WORKING WITH TSP. That stuff can be really nasty on your skin. Since it's nasty on the skin I worried about it being nasty in my lungs so I made sure ALL THE WINDOWS WERE OPEN. Maybe I was too extreme, but better safe than sorry.

Another tip: When washing those disgusting walls (how could anyone live like that? and OMG the tub???? OMG) resist the urge to get up on the ladder and work your way down. The yucky water drips down the wall and makes more of a mess with streaks of dirt that are hard to remove. Start at the bottom and work your way up! Try it, you'll see it's easier.

Thanks Karen, I will try the TSP on the little bit of wallpaper in the kitchen. I hadn't thought of that. I have gone through a LOT of gloves in cleaning. The only thing I found to cut all the grease in the kitchen is Dawn Power Desolver. I'm sure I've gone through 6-8 bottles or more but it is great stuff. I used it on the stove, refrigerator, everything.The only thing is it strips part of the paint off but we will be painting anyway.
    I just plain can't get over your pictures. I truly don't think I have EVER in my life seen anything so filthy. I just can't get over it. How in heaven's name could anyone occupy that place? Where did the last tenant bathe?

It's past amazing that it's not crawling with who knows what bugs.
    Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
    I want to thank you all for your advice. I knew you all would come through for me. If you could see this place you would not be jealous. It is a lot of work. It had been used for a rent house for the last 7 years. The last one was a heavy smoker so I'm scrubbing walls and ceilings to paint....not a spot in the kitchen without a grease spot. If I can pull this off I will post pictures but it will take time. I've been scrubbing for nearly a month now. Hard on the old arms and shoulders. Thanks again
    Lowes or Home Depot sell a paint that will mask that smoke smell.
    Thanks, I will check on that paint.
    Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 AM

By looking at the pics I bet the first thing you do when you get thru is strip & hit the shower. OOOOOO cooties. Double yuk
    Old 07-28-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
    If you ever get the bath tub clean, polish it with car wax & it will shine & look a lot beter. Dh use to repair fiberglass tubs & that is what he used. It probably has a cast iron tub so be careful you don't cut into the finish. Will work on it too. Also if you get the 600 silcon wet sandpaper it will clean it too.
    Thanks again Debra, I'm sure taking lots of notes.
    Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 AM

Debra, I was going to tell you about your story about the alarm clock. I thought the old ceiling fan was antiqued...turns out it was white too. LOL
    Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM

I just plain can't get over your pictures. I truly don't think I have EVER in my life seen anything so filthy. I just can't get over it. How in heaven's name could anyone occupy that place? Where did the last tenant bathe?

It's past amazing that it's not crawling with who knows what bugs.
    You know he really does not appear to be that dirty in his appearence. He is nearly 60 but I'm not sure he ever lived on his own before his Mother passed away and her home was sold so he moved in this house and didn't know what to do.
    Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 AM

You are lucky I can dream of haveing a whole house for my quilting,congratulations. I am happy for you.
    I look forward to seeing your photos. I took over one bedroom when the last child left, hubby wanted it for a guest room too but I won out. Told him when was the last time we had some one to come visit and stay for a while.
    We do keep a bedroom for GD when she comes to spend the night told him if company come they can stay in there.
    Waited to many years to get my own room.
    Happy Quilting,
    Carol in Delaware
    Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 AM

OMG! I just saw the pics of the "clean spots". Is anybody still smoking? Do you see what is getting in your lungs?