Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas >

Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Old 09-05-2010, 08:17 AM

Amen to that!

Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
Originally Posted by yuvonnet
I would like to organize my sewing room also, but I have one problem, I need a room stretcher first..
If you find a room stretcher let us all know.
:thumbup:
Old 09-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Harbor Freight has those small movers dollys on sale. Even when they're not on sale (which seems to be pretty often) they aren't too pricey, about $11 I think. Maybe that would work if you can't find a mechanic's creeper.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:17 PM

There are also rolling dollys made to fit under a large flower pot. They would probably fit easily through a small closet door -- can be found at places like Home Depot, I think
Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 PM

I don't know how helpful these ideas will be but I will state them anyway-and PLEASE don't ask me to post pictures, my sewing room is much, MUCH too messy tonight.
I had with a previous machine no place to organize my numerous presser feet so bought a metal screw organizer--it is about 12" wide by 6' thick, by 8" tall (very approximate) with lots of little drawers and used a label-er to write on the outside of each tiny drawer which presser foot was in that drawer. Very helpful. I am also a machine embroiderer so bought a large cloth over-the-door shoe bag with 24 pockets for stabilizers. I used the label-er to put the type of stabilizer on each lid. I attached it to the back wall in the small walk-in closet rather than over the door.
We frequent auctions and my DH found built-in cabinets with a drop front, shelves on top and covered cabinets below and tore them out of the condo they were in a mounted them in my sewingroom. WONDERFUL! I display my 'toys' on the upper shelves and books and my laptop on one drop down. (My toys are my collection of old toy sewing machines and toys from my childhood misc.) Also found two matching tall narrow, shallow cabinets in the same white finish where have embroidery discs in them and lots of FQ. I do not remember what we paid exactly for each of these cabinets but the tall narrow ones were both for around $25. The build-ins around $100. The last item I also use I got at Home Depot is an organizer that you choose the wire baskets and whether you want the casters and a hard plastic top. Mine I put 4 baskets in, the top shallow and each one going down is bigger. This one was not cheap --I am thinking over $100 but it sits next to my machine and holds lots of stuff that I use frequently. I have collected all this stuff in the last 3 1/2 years so did not go out and get it all at once. It was a matter of watching auctions and going and looking and either buy or not buy. Oh yes, the white laminated cabinets that are made for closets (ClosetMaid is one brand) that are sold at K-Mart, Target etc. I got the 15 cubby hole piece made for shoes but use it to put the same color FQ for applique or stained glass quilts. It is pretty and handy. It sits on top of the tall narrow cabinets I mentioned earlier. Hope this gives some of you ideas . My room is small and I need it twice this size but I manage to do what I want to in it, clean it up and start all over again. LOL Sue
Old 09-07-2010, 05:36 AM

to Frankie...........you asked for dimensions of my thread cabinet.

It is 24 1/2" high, 18" wide and 3" deep.
It has 6 shelves, 3 1/4" apart.
He used wooden yard sticks around the front of the door.

hope that helps.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:01 AM

This is a more decorative idea than storage idea. When I have extra blocks from a project, I dip them in liquid starch, sponge them onto my sewing room wall, usually along the top by the ceiling area, then let them dry. They make a nice decorative trim and I can make use of the extra blocks. If I need to remove them, I just pull them off, and clean the area with a damp sponge. The residue wipes right off. I would send a pix, but house sold and I already removed them. I saw this years ago on HGTV.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
This is a more decorative idea than storage idea. When I have extra blocks from a project, I dip them in liquid starch, sponge them onto my sewing room wall, usually along the top by the ceiling area, then let them dry. They make a nice decorative trim and I can make use of the extra blocks. If I need to remove them, I just pull them off, and clean the area with a damp sponge. The residue wipes right off. I would send a pix, but house sold and I already removed them. I saw this years ago on HGTV.
What a genious idea. I think I will do this today. I usually do an extra square with each quilt.
Thank you for the idea
Old 09-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Katsewnsew, what a wonderful idea. Starching your blocks to the wall also eliminates loosing track of the blocks that you have. I am very visual so that would work quite well for me. I can't get up on ladders but I could put a mid border an arm's reach up from the floor. Thank you for sharing that. Wow! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 PM

Okay, I need an idea for the lighting in my sewing room. I want to have better lighting from the ceiling. I had put up track lites. BAD IDEA!!! This causes a lot shadows. I have two floor lamps already. I would like to replace the ceiling light. What does everyone else have as a ceiling light? I am only asking about the ceiling lighting not other lamps please.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by chamby
Okay, I need an idea for the lighting in my sewing room. I want to have better lighting from the ceiling. I had put up track lites. BAD IDEA!!! This causes a lot shadows. I have two floor lamps already. I would like to replace the ceiling light. What does everyone else have as a ceiling light? I am only asking about the ceiling lighting not other lamps please.
My sewing room is in a dungeon-type basement room that has no windows, so I really depend on the ceiling fixtures to give me lots of light. I have a 4-tube flourescent fixture above my table, and two other places in my sewing room. And if you use full spectrum tubes, it should be bright enough without casting shadows. Then I have a moveable clamp light that I swing over my sewing machine for extra spot lighting.