Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing space? >

Sewing space?

Sewing space?

Old 01-05-2018, 07:43 PM

I use a trundle bed for the bed in my sewing room (for g-boy) and use the trundle underneath for storage of quilting stuff. Use the wall for pegboard to hang rulers, etc. you can even hang bags of stuff if you get big "zip-locs". I use a folding, adjustable drafting table for my cutting table--not huge but big enough and it sits in middle of the room so I can use both sides--if need be I can clear it off (admittedly this doesn't happen often!), fold down and reclaim the floor space, too.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
How small is small? I sew in a room that is 8 x 8 with a good sized closet. It works great and I have every
thing I need.
My room is about 8X8 with my computer and sewing macine also bookshelves with fabric it is cramped but doable. No closet for me the computer is in the space that was a closet about 4 feet of space by 3 feet my desk fits perfectly in there.. You don't say if it is one or two bedroom if only one then I guess a nice closed shelving unit or amuare (sp)
Old 01-05-2018, 08:52 PM

I'm looking at going from 1900 sq ft house to a one bedroom apartment. It's an overwhelming thought so I will follow this thread with a good deal of interest. Now I sew in the family room and store fabric in two large bedrooms - yikes!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:16 PM

We took the folding doors off a closet, and put a work station in there. Two "file cabinet" sized sets of drawers are fastened with brackets to the bottom of the 5' top, with knee space between them to sit and sew. (Yeah, IKEA!)
Old 01-05-2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I just googled " how to organize a small sewing space" and there are some great ideas, especially this closet one, Wow!

http://livefreecreative.co/2012/08/a-closet-seamstress/
This just might be my solution, I am downsizing to a 1 bedroom apartment from a 3 bedroom house. The apartment has 2 closets so I'm thinking of trying this. Won't know for another month or so, will follow this thread to help me make this move to my advantage.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:49 AM

All of our extra rooms are full since our daughter and our twin grandchildren moved in with us. I sew in the unfinished basement, share the spot with aforementioned children and my gym eqiptment. It works out pretty good. I just got a very large shelf unit from sams and about 20 bins that I have filled with stash and "stuff". I also have 3 drawer sets that sit on one shelf for cutters, scissors and assorted necessary "things". I also have an antique tall cedar cabinet for extra stuff, and a cedar chest and a good sized oak cabinet that I keep more stuff in. Some day I might have a nice dedicated room, but this does work out nice for me. Almost everything I do is located in one space.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:49 AM

In the summer when we go camping in our 24' 5th wheel, I cut and organize everything before we go. I use the kitchen table to sew (sometimes the picnic table outside) and have a little ironing board I sit on the kitchen counter. I can stash a lot in our little closets if it is organized. I get a lot done, especially if it is raining or cold outside.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
If I were in close encounters, I would set up my sewing centre into a closet.
That way the machine could be left set up all the time.
Lighting could be easily addressed.
Shelving for long term storage, including for setting things on between work sessions.
Then close the door .... and out of sight, til the next session.

Yes, some need to bring things out, but it would be cut to the minimum, as it would not be packed away in the sense of hidden into plastic totes and such.

Of course, it all depends on what space you have available to you in the limited space.

I've also seen some pretty interesting sewing areas built under stair steps.
That'd be another place I would focus on for my sewing area, if I was faced with the challenge.
The closet set up was going to be my suggestion as well. Have not done it with a sewing space but did have that as an office function for many years. Worked very well.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I use a bedroom but the best thing about it is - my husband took the doors off the double closet and made shelves. It holds a ton.
I hope you find a solution because it sounds like you're having trouble getting motivated with all your things in bins. I don't blame you.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:15 AM

When I had less space I kept the project I was working on in one bin so that I could grab that bin and have everything I needed. It was also fairly easy to put it all in the bin when I was done. It would still seem like too much work to pull things out and remember where I was if I only had a short amount of time to work, but it mostly worked.

I do something similar now if I'm going to put a project aside to work on something else. I put everything for that project in a box so that I can find it again when I want to get back to it.