Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing tabel question >

Sewing tabel question

Sewing tabel question

Old 12-29-2015, 04:55 PM

Default Sewing tabel question

What height does a sewing table need to be? that's to the surface of the machine, let into a table.
what is a good work height?
thanks
Old 12-29-2015, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

Depends on your height:
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/sew...iondesign.html
Old 12-29-2015, 09:36 PM

There are lots of factors to consider, but the main thing is it needs to be comfortable for you. I have a friend who is the exact same height as I am, but we're built differently. She has a long torso and shorter legs. I have a shorter torso and longer legs. Her table height and chair settings don't work that well for me.

The surface of my table is 29" above the floor, and my sewing machine and extension table sit on top. This works best for me ergonomically. You should experiment to find what's most comfortable for you.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:58 AM

My table is also 29inches high but my machine is flush with the table as it sits on a lowered insert. Can you sit at your current table and discern what improvements in height etc would make your table "perfect"? I spent some time sitting at my old sewing table working out what would improve it then DH took the appropriate meaurements. He then whizzed off enthusiastically to fire up the welder and the "laminated wood cutter-thingy"....bless him....I think there was another motorbike purchase brewing so I did get a lovely table....quite quickly too!
Old 12-30-2015, 03:08 AM

29" is the standard height for tables and work surfaces. Not kitchen counter heights. Get a height adjustable chair for your situation. Peckishh is correct.

Sandy
Old 12-30-2015, 04:09 AM

OK, I had to check this out. My sewing table is 31 inches from the floor. My machine drops down onto a platform below surface so that it is flush with the table. My husband built my sewing table, an "L" shaped arrangement. I have 2 sets of drawers in the desk. The top drawer on the left is a pull out ironing board. I have a chair that is adjustable and set so that my feet rest flat on the floor- at least the left one. When you sew you need to be in a good posture position so you don't stress parts of your body. I am really aware of this when I use my serger. It sits on a standard folding table. My chair is a folding table. It is not comfortable-fortunately, sessions in that situation are short.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

It depends on your height and that of your chair.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:01 AM

When your hands are on the bed of the sewing machine, they should be about an inch below your elbows. As others have said, table height depends on your body measurements (torso and arms), your chair height (seat to floor), and your machine height (table to bed).

My table height is 33", the machine bed is 3½" above that, and my 'chair' seat is 24" off the floor. I am just 5'3" tall and prefer to sew in a semi-standing position using a stool instead of a chair. It's much easier to move around to cut, press, stitch, etc, and I can sew all day and all night without fatigue, without stressing my knees, and without blocking the circulation in my legs. It also means my sewing and cutting are done on the same surface (actually a hollow core door set on bookcases). I think table height should be a highly personal thing.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the replays, I looked at some plans and articles on line and I was coming up with table heights from 29 to 37 inches tall, so I thought maybe there was something I just didn't know. I'm a man and about 5'9" tall so I think 29 inches will work fine for me and I will get an adjustable chair. I'm a furniture maker so I can change it, if need be. It's been years since I've sat and sewn for any length of time and I don't want to be working at an odd height. My back won't take that stuff any more.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:45 PM

I'm 5'10" and my sewing table is 32" high. I have a sit down midarm with a table that's height adjustable. I keep it at 36" and frankly, wish I'd ordered my sewing table taller as well.