Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing table size - Pros and Cons & Configuration >

Sewing table size - Pros and Cons & Configuration

Sewing table size - Pros and Cons & Configuration

Old 10-23-2009, 09:32 AM

Actually, my cutting table is 6 of the Butterick and McCall pattern cabinets, 3 back to back, then a 2 piece counter top, fits perfectly. The drawers are all full of fabric, each drawer/s has a background color assigned to it. It's perfect for me, since I'm fairly tall. I read somewhere that the best height for a cutting table is no more than 4 inches below your elbow.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
Actually, my cutting table is 6 of the Butterick and McCall pattern cabinets, 3 back to back, then a 2 piece counter top, fits perfectly. The drawers are all full of fabric, each drawer/s has a background color assigned to it. It's perfect for me, since I'm fairly tall. I read somewhere that the best height for a cutting table is no more than 4 inches below your elbow.
Now, that sounds like a nice set up with lots of room, too! I think I've read something similar on the height, too. Ideally, it's even nicer if we can have our forearms supported on the table. That tip came from my Physical Therapist. She said it cuts down on the fatigue and strain, all the way up to our shoulders. Thanks for sharing. :)
Old 10-23-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by kapatt
Quiltgranny, I really like having calm, balanced rooms too. I can't sew unless the distractions items are put away and just my sewing items are in front of me.
I try to keep the room balanced but also have it convenient for my needs.
Does this mean you have everything neatly organized? Do you keep things out of site, like in bins or other covered containers? Would you mind expanding on what gives you peace of mind so that maybe I can find mine? :) Some family and friends are beginning to think something's wrong with me that I haven't been able to reclaim this peace of mind for such a long time now. I'm guessing part of the problem is too much in the space I have for it. The room feels/looks cluttered and I can't seem to find my sewing sweet spot. Thanks in advance for any advice you might share. :)
Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 AM

I'm in the planning stage of a sewing room in my soon to be new home...as I'm in a down-scaling process. My room is only 9.5x10.5 and I have what I think is a pretty workable plan. My phobia is having my back toward the door into the room and as the room has only one window I want to be able to see my back yard as well as the doorway soooo my sew/press area will be perpendicular to a wall so I can see both. I'm not planning on doing anymore bed-sized quilts so am thinking a small fold-out cutting table from JoAnns' should be okay. With a couple of book cases and an antique sewing rocker in the room I should be good to go - Oops, I mean to sew. After much contemplatig, I'm going with aqua walls. When I have it together I'll be posting a photo or 2 or 3 or..... soooo! :lol:
Old 10-24-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by dottientx
I'm in the planning stage of a sewing room in my soon to be new home...as I'm in a down-scaling process. My room is only 9.5x10.5 and I have what I think is a pretty workable plan. When I have it together I'll be posting a photo or 2 or 3 or..... soooo! :lol:
Welcome to the board dottientx. I think you have a great idea here. I think you will like the idea of having your sewing table perpendicular to your window. Lots of natural light to sew by. Your ideas sound like they are going to make your room quite inviting, and a nice haven, too.

I have finally come to the realization today that I am going to have to scale down my room, too. As much as that pains me, so does all the clutter and lack of room to do things well. Good luck with your new sewing room, and please post your pics when available. I look forward to seeing your new room.

Happy sewing!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:17 PM

My sewing room is also a guest room with a full sized bed. It's 12 x 14, but I do have a closet (fabric stash). I have a nice lighted bookcase that is used for fabric, notions, etc. I used a small 'desk' as my sewing table and I use a card table as my work table. I also have a 2nd card table that I butt up against the other when the project gets big. I store the extra card table under the guest bed. My room feels great- not overwhelming and my cats love to keep me company, so it's comfy feeling. I don't have clutter, but I do have organized bins on my shelving- that cuts down on clutter.
Card tables, or other folding tables are great for when you have a large project. Not every project requires several tables, so you can store them away then. It'll help keep the clutter down, and free up the energy in your room.
Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 10-24-2009, 01:35 PM

[Does this mean you have everything neatly organized?]

laughing...well, as organized as a person can be when they are sewing. I make quite a mess with my rulers, cutting mats, scraps and all when I'm sewing.

After having a dedicated sewing room for a couple of years, I had to give it up to my son when he came back from college, I moved my sewing things back to my dining room.
This is how I've set up the dining room for sewing. I do have an cabinet that I keep my sewing items in (pins, needles, sewing machine attachments, zippers, bias tapes...)
I set up three tables in a "U" design...one in front of me with my sewing machine, one to the right of me and one behind me (for cutting and ironing). I have a plastic, office floor mat under my chair that has rollers. That way, it is very easy for me to turn from one table to the other one without jumping up every few minutes.
I use the table on the right side as a place to put the rulers, pens, cutters and such when I'm not using them. That way they stay out of my sewing and cutting area.

I organize my projects. What I do is put all of the fabric (plus patterns, notes) for my project that I'm working on, in one tub. When I'm working on more than one project that month, each project has it's own tub. That way I don't have two projects inter-mixed.

Since I keep my projects in tubs, it isn't difficult for me to clean things up quickly if need be, but still be able to find everything later on.

Like I said, that is what I've done up until now.

Now, I'm moving most of my things into my daughter's room. (She moved out a few years ago, but I had gotten tired of moving my sewing things from room to room and I really liked the dining room setup.)

I'll keep a bed in there for a guest bed, but I'll be able to use the rest of the room for my sewing. I'll have only two tables instead of three because of the space the bed takes up. I'll use the table in front of me for my sewing table and put a table behind me for my cutting and ironing.

One reason I almost didn't move my sewing things out of the dining room is because my neighbor comes up once a week with her machine and sews with me. Right now, we are working on the Underground Railroad quilt. Even with my moving my sewing things out, we will continue to sew in the dining room because that will give us the most room. My kitchen has a big cooking bar where we can set up the large cutting mats. We set the ironing board up on the other side of the bar.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAnna
I don't have clutter, but I do have organized bins on my shelving- that cuts down on clutter.
Card tables, or other folding tables are great for when you have a large project. Not every project requires several tables, so you can store them away then. It'll help keep the clutter down, and free up the energy in your room.
Regards,
MaryAnna
Thank you for a couple of excellent tips. :) I had not thought of utilizing my card table as needed instead of keeping a larger table in my sewing room. I'm also working on organizing my shelves a bit better. I also use my closet for my stash.

We did remove a 2 x 4' table from my room today that I've been using as a cutting table lately. That has freed up some needed space, and I guess it won't be so difficult to cut out the larger stuff on the dining room table like I used to. I also carried several totes of WIPS out to our garage, my 'annex' in hopes of lessening the overwhelmed feelings I get at all I need to finish. I thought if I had them close by I'd guilt myself into getting them done sooner. All that did was backfire! :cry: Lesson learned.

It'll probably be another day or so before I've got it totally in shape, but progress is a good thing, and I'm starting to feel better as a result. Thanks again. :)
Old 10-24-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by kapatt
[Does this mean you have everything neatly organized?]

laughing...well, as organized as a person can be when they are sewing. I make quite a mess with my rulers, cutting mats, scraps and all when I'm sewing.

I set up three tables in a "U" design...one in front of me with my sewing machine, one to the right of me and one behind me (for cutting and ironing). I have a plastic, office floor mat under my chair that has rollers. That way, it is very easy for me to turn from one table to the other one without jumping up every few minutes.

I organize my projects. What I do is put all of the fabric (plus patterns, notes) for my project that I'm working on, in one tub. When I'm working on more than one project that month, each project has it's own tub. That way I don't have two projects inter-mixed.

One reason I almost didn't move my sewing things out of the dining room is because my neighbor comes up once a week with her machine and sews with me.
I seem to make quite a mess too, while working on projects - and not always putting things back when I'm done seems to breed more clutter.

I purposely get up to press all the time. If I didn't, I'd be stuck in my chair from pain and stiffness!

I have a friend that comes over once in a while to sew, too. Another reason I was trying to keep two sewing tables in my room. I also like to have two sewing machines set up, too.

I use tubs for various projects too. It is a big help as I do work on a few different projects each month, ie. BOM's.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions and sharing. I'm working on my room today, clearing out many things, even a cutting table, so I'm hopeful that things will be in better shape soon. :)

Happy sewing! :)
Old 10-24-2009, 06:41 PM

I am new to the boards, but have been reading this thread because I am also trying to arrange a new sewing area. I wanted to recommend two books that you may find at your local library. They have been a great help to me, as they help with the thought process, and help figure out the height ratio of tables, ironing boards, etc. for your particular size. One is called "Creating your perfect quilting space" by Lois L. Hallock and the other is Dream sewing spaces by Lynette Raney Black. Hope they may be of inspiration to you also. PJ