Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Triangles- How do I line them up? >

Sewing Triangles- How do I line them up?

Sewing Triangles- How do I line them up?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:56 PM

match up those seams just the way you have them laid out. keep the bottom of the blocks even and you should be fine. you will have a point extending at the top.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 AM

Well, here is the result of sewing them as they were placed. I'm guessing that the smallest blue triangle is not the right size (too small) and I cut the others in that block to that size to get the triangle effect. I'll cut that larger (their directions must still be wrong!) and see what happens.
I checked and rechecked the directions and my cutting. That triangle is cut from a 2 1/8 inch square. I can't understand why no one has pointed out to them that this is inaccurate.
(I just sent them an email but don't expect a reply.)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-131629.jpe   attachment-131850.jpe  
Old 02-08-2011, 07:18 AM

Last picture shows you don't have a 1/4" on top.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Yup. The larger blue triangle is fine, but the smaller blue triangle is too small. Since that is the chimney piece, I'm thinking you could sew an extra strip across the top of that triangle to make it larger, then cut it down to correct size after sewing. Chimneys aren't usually exactly as high as the rooftop anyway; they are usually shorter. Were the two blue triangles cut with different methods?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 AM

That's a great idea to add a strip along the top, especially since I've completed 5 of these to exactly this size. I was thinking of just redoing all of them.
Both the large blue triangle and the small blue triangle next to the chimney were cut as squares, then cut on the diagonal to make two. I've checked the directions, even downloading again to make sure that I had the updated version, checked my cut sizes, and still can't figure out how this happened unless the directions are still wrong. But I would think that someone would have alerted them to this so I don't understand. Maybe I'll write another post asking if anyone else has started this quilt.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Here's an explanation of how to sew triangles on:
http://quilting.about.com/od/rotaryc...angle_tips.htm

It helps if you nip off the dog ears first.

I'm not totally convinced your blue triangles are cut large enough. That first triangle that is already sewn on looks too small to me. However, it may be giving that impression because we are seeing only the right side. Could you flip it over so we can see how the seam allowances are lined up on the wrong side?
Thank you for that link. That is information that I need!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 AM

I was thinking,why couldn't sew a smallish strip on each side of red piece.That would make the triangle bigger wouldn't it.Or make the red wider?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

when you have a straight edge (the bottom of your triangles) you line those up to match.
however your photos look like your pieced triangle isn't the correct size. do you have a template you can place it on to see if it is the right size?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 AM

The triangle became smaller when you sewed in the chimney. Looks to me like that triangle should be cut bigger to accomodate the 2 seams.

I do live the idea of just adding on at this point!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 AM

Adding on may be the only solution for me because if I increase the size of the triangle, it puts the chimney further away from the house and that isn't necessary. Otherwise I have to figure out the size of the rectangle that that triangle should be cut from. Maybe I'll have to sit down and play with some scraps.