Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing in two directions? >

sewing in two directions?

sewing in two directions?

Old 04-16-2015, 02:00 PM

Default sewing in two directions?

I have been reading about machine quilting starting in the center and then moving to the edges. This is done so that you do not have to try to put the whole quilt in the space between the needle and the machine. I was told that the stitching should only go in one direction. By starting in the center and then working toward the edge would require turning the quilt and stitching in the opposite direction. Which is correct? Does it matter? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:07 PM

I have never heard or been told that stitching should only go in one direction. In fact, when piecing strips you should sew each strip in alternating directions to prevent bowing/curving. I quilt my quilts in all different directions: top to bottom, bottom to top, starting in the middle and working outwards.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I've also never heard (or never did) just stitch in one direction. I've always understood that the primary reason for starting in the middle gives you the best shot at keeping wrinkles out of the batting and backing. It has the added benefit of only dealing with half the quilt. If you baste, pin or glue the sandwich securely and don't have a problem with shifting layers, you can do whatever works best for you.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:49 PM

Paper-Princess was taught the same way I was. Starting in the middle and working towards the edge helps keep out wrinkles and also pucker is you work edge to center you may have a problem when you get to the middle. And I was told you need to be able to quilt in both directions - towards yourself and away so you don't have to turn so much. What it all comes down to is do what you are comfortable doing.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

When quilting my avatar, I started in the center and stitched in one direction (top to bottom) working my way to the edge (corner). This way you finish a quarter of a quilt.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:12 AM

Josieh, are you talking about using a walking foot or FMQ? It makes a difference. I don't know how you could possibly sew in 2 different directions with the walking foot, while moving from the center to the edge, unless you were sewing in reverse, which is pretty hard to see. What I think you're asking is whether or not it matters that you will be going in the opposite direction on the second half, once you go back to the center and start moving toward the edge. If that's it, I don't see how you could avoid it without having over half of the quilt to your right on every other row.

Unless I'm misunderstanding this.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 04-17-2015, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Make sure it's basted well and you shouldn't have a problem. Up to you how you want to quilt.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I think the reference to only stitching in one direction is with your domestic sewing machine you can only stitch ( forward) never pull the fabric, try to sew/quilt backwards ( unless using a reverse function) I know someone trying to free motion who pulled the fabric backwards against the normal forward motion of the machine and caused some pretty expensive damage.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:26 AM

Similar to ManiacQuilter2's comment, when I recently took a FMQ class the instructor also broke the quilt down into quarters so that you are turning the quilt and only having to manage a section at a time. I think it just depends on what you are comfortable with, the size of your quilt and whether you are going with a specific design.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:08 AM
shy

I agree with all ..it depends on what u are comfortable doing..the main rule as I see it with home machine quilting..is start from the center and work out..I have turn my quilts..not turn them..gone top to bottom ..bottom to top..side to side..I do feel top to bottom is best ..if there is any give in the bottom layer.it doesn't bunch going from top to bottom usually..where as the side to side can sometimes stretch the material..but again as always ..it is a personal opinion