Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Two Days / Two Quilts >

Two Days / Two Quilts

Two Days / Two Quilts

Old 09-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for critiquing my quilt pictures below. I'm still pretty new at quilting and taught myself everything at the "school of hard knocks" - no classes yet. My DH told me after work on Friday that he needed a baby quilt completed by Wed for a shower at work. Mini panic attack for someone who has only 1 baby quilt under her belt. The rest of my work has been small wall hangings. I was flattered that he liked my work enough to ask, but worried about time. So we went and selected fabric late last night (he has a good eye for color, since he does stained glass) and I started cutting. Theme for baby boy's room is jungle, so how lucky is it that we found a fabric to make a soft book about a guy taking pictures in an African jungle (perfect, huh?). Instead of making a book, I cut it up and added borders and made it into a 43x52 storybook quilt. I call it Bedtime Story. Sorry the pic is not a full one. Quilt holder was napping on the sofa and I wanted to email a friend a picture of the top, so I crammed it into the top dresser drawer and took what I could of it. It's actually 12 pages, not the 9 that show. Tomorrow I will sandwich and who knows when I'll quilt and bind - no ideas on what to do yet. Probably just SID (batting is warm and natural). Any ideas welcome.

The Abe Lincoln wall hanging is self designed and is for my 8 YO DGS for Christmas. Nobody knows more about Abe than he does - and his favorite thing this summer was to visit the Lincoln Memorial in DC. Go figure. I wish the fabric for the postcards had been sepia, because I think white is a little too much. Think I should use some fabric paint or leave well enough alone? I made it yesterday. This one is pretty small about 22 X 30 maybe (I did not measure).

Thus, 2 in 2. Abe yesterday. Baby quilt today.

Bedtime Story (partial & unquilted)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77688[/ATTACH]

Bedtime Story (closeup of book page)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77787[/ATTACH]

Honest Abe Wall Hanging
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77917[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77683.jpe   attachment-77782.jpe   attachment-77912.jpe  
Old 09-11-2010, 07:44 PM

Great job on both projects. Whenever I find those book panels on sale I get some. They are so handy to have on hand when you need a "quick" (that is relative) gift.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:45 PM

I love them both good job for someone so new...QITD that is what I would do and use lots of safty pins,I smooth it out good and pin (do not lock yet) turn it over and smooth some more.if the back bubbles I remove the pins causing bubble, and re-pin...make sure both sides are good and flat then hook the pins.
Good luck.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:46 PM

Both quilts are beautiful! Good thinking on your feet time wise! As far as "Ole Abe", if the white bothers you, you could give him a quick tea bath to tone down the white but I like it like it is! Great job!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

You did beautifully on both quilts :D:D:D
I would give Abe a tea bath once the quilt is finished :wink:
Old 09-11-2010, 07:52 PM

What a great idea using pages from the jungle book. That is a gift that will be treasured for years and years, and then somemore when it is passed down. What a wonderful gift!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:56 PM

Both quilts are lovely! I really like the Abe Lincoln quilt. I think it looks great as is but agree with amma, a tea bath would be the answer if you don't like the white. Great job!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

SharonAnne I think both quilts are wonderful. I love the idea of turning the book into a quilt. it will be loved.
The Abe quilt is wonderful. I think the white just makes the pictures of Abe pop. Makes it easier to focus on the pic's. Just a thought remember if you do decide to dye the quilt in a tea bath that it may change all the colors of the quilt.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by quilting Carol
I love them both good job for someone so new...QITD that is what I would do and use lots of safty pins,I smooth it out good and pin (do not lock yet) turn it over and smooth some more.if the back bubbles I remove the pins causing bubble, and re-pin...make sure both sides are good and flat then hook the pins.
Good luck.
Thanks for advice. But it brings up a question... I end up with minor ripples sometimes. Could it be because I SID with my regular foot and not a walking foot? Or is it because I am not smoothing enough (the only other quilt I did was a baby quilt, smaller than this one, and I spray basted instead of pinning). The waves aren't too bad, but more than I like being a perfectionist. I'm a bit challenged to figure out how the walking foot attaches to my Brother XR9000 despite reading and rereading the manual. Maybe I'll take it to my PP class tomorrow and ask how to use it at the QS.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
SharonAnne I think both quilts are wonderful. I love the idea of turning the book into a quilt. it will be loved.
The Abe quilt is wonderful. I think the white just makes the pictures of Abe pop. Makes it easier to focus on the pic's. Just a thought remember if you do decide to dye the quilt in a tea bath that it may change all the colors of the quilt.
Good to know about the tea bath and all of the colors. I will probably leave it as is and experiment another time with the tea. Can you also address my question about waves/ripples and spray basting vs pinning? I responded to another's comments (I already forgot her name, but you will see it posted on this topic). You have given me good info previously, so I am grateful that you continue to offer me constructive comments.