Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing w/ Hand Lotion >

Sewing w/ Hand Lotion

Sewing w/ Hand Lotion

Old 01-11-2012, 05:21 PM

BeautiControl Gegeneration Extreme Repair is my pick...it works very well.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM

Satin Hands from Mary Kay is great stuff! You need to treat your hands with that every day or two through the winter. Since I started using that, I no longer get cracked thumbs! I do apply lotion every time I wash my hands through the day.

For treating cracks, Neosporin Plus works great---I put it on with a band-aid at night and all is well by morning. The Plus part of Neosporin Plus is a topical pain reliever, and it really helps if you get those cracks in your skin.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 PM

This stuff is the best. http://www.thehoneyguy.com/Waterbloc...Cream-Page.htm And I'm pretty sure they have a little sample size. Don't skimp but don't use too much.

I bought it at the quilt show in houston and use it every day. I saw it in my LQS after I got home but being able to sample it at quilt market is what sold me.

I put it on in the morning and it is sticky for a few minutes and then it's not. It lasts all day and I handle paper at work, wash my hands with soap all day (multiple bathroom breaks, cooking dinner), washing dishes with dish soap, quilting, folding fabric, etc and I never have to reapply it.

Also, my feet were all cracked from wearing flip flops all the time and I used it 2 or 3 nights and my feet are totally soft and healed.

I've tried several products mentioned, Mary Kay Satin Hands, Neosporin Plus, Udder Cream, Vaseline, Lubriderm, Gold Bond, Aveeno and many of them are still under the bathroom sink because I hate to throw away expensive stuff but they didn't work on my feet and I quit using them.

I don't work for this company but I just can't believe how well their product works that I probably sound like a commercial for them. Just a very happy customer.

This is what their website says:
Naturally, Handmade with Beeswax. SAFE for all ages.

Waterblocker is a hand-made, waterproof, natural beeswax skin cream for the whole body. It stops dry, cracked hands by protecting the natural oil in the skin from being removed by constant washing or by other antagonists such as paper, cardboard and fabrics. Great for rough, cracked heals, runners use to prevent blistering and hot spots. Use on face as a moisturizer and to preserve the natural oil in your face. Long lasting - one application lasts most users all day!! It is safe for children - use on diaper rash and to prevent rash from occurring. Use as a safe, natural deodorant for underarm and feet. Bacteria that cause odor can't grow in beeswax!! It also stops itch, burn and sting. Use on insect bites, poison ivy, rashes, burns, etc. to stop the itch, burn and sting. Use on skin conditions that exhibit itch, burn or sting or are dry and scaly or red. Use on pet's hot spots to stop itching and scratching and promote rapid healing!! No scent, non-greasy, long lasting.

Especially effective for anyone who must wash hands many times each day or who must handle materials which dry out the skin such as fabric, paper, cardboard, gardening dirt or cold, dry winter weather. Waterblocker prevents the loss of oil from the skin regardless of what the skin is exposed to and thus prevents the damage which would normally occur under such conditions. Skin that is already damaged will heal quickly and the damage will NOT return with regular use of Waterblocker.

If you are one of the millions of people who suffer from chronic dry skin problems, you have probably tried dozens of remedies, and they all failed to help your problem! For that reason, Honey Guy personally guarantees you will be satisfied with Waterblocker or he will refund the entire amount you paid including shipping and he will send you the postage to return the unused portion of your order! That is how sure Honey Guy is that Waterblocker will work for you!!

So don't be discouraged. Let Mother Nature's marvelous honey bee have a shot at solving your problem. With the unconditional Honey Guy guarantee, you've got nothing to lose! Even the ancient Egyptians made beeswax skin cream over 4,000 years ago. It could have been Cleopatra's secret to keeping her face and skin looking young and bee-autiful! Nothing is more time-tested and proven than natural beeswax skin cream - and Honey Guy puts more beeswax in his products than any other manufacturer! The other ingredients are distilled water, food-grade mineral oil and the natural mineral, Borax as the binder which turns the mixture into a cream. A fourth grader can read and understand the label! Not many other products can say that.

Simple, Safe, Effective - Waterblocker™ Skin Cream
Old 01-11-2012, 08:21 PM

This is what I use...and it is recommended by Diane Gaudynski to use while machine quilting so you don't
have to wear gloves.

Norwegian Formula Body Emulsion...and here is some info on it:

A body emulsion with glycerin rich, non greasy formula, which gives long lasting (upto 17 hours) softening and moisturizing. It rapidly heals driest of skins.

Norwegian Formula Body Emulsion rapidly heals extra-dry skin and retains moisture. This clinically proven lotion provides immediate relief to even severely dry skin.

Lighter than a cream, it's comfortable for all around daytime use. Richer than ordinary lotions, it delivers longer lasting softening and protection from dryness and flaking.

Leaves dry skin softer, smoother, protected and instantly renewed.

Available in Original and Fragrance-free.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 PM

This was a great thread with many wonderful suggestions. Hopefully I can get more quilting done if I can keep my thumbs from cracking.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 PM

I love the Zim's Crack Creme too!! Our dishwasher broke down at our business and had no money to fix it...so dishes for 25 people 3 times a day really had my hands a mess. Can't wear rubber gloves. This stuff really helped. I got mine at Walmart.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 AM

I have used Gloves in a Bottle for 4 years. I have it next to my computer and sewing machines. You don't have to worry about it getting on your fabric or anything else you touch and it only takes a pea size amount.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 AM

I only use this - I hate the way all other lotions make my hands feel and I dont feel greasy or slick after useing this I got a small sample form a friend a few years ago it took a couple of years to use up to I put in an order to buy a case and divided it up for my sewing guild group they all swear by it now!

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
gloves in a bottle is my lotion of choice for dry-winter hands- a little bit goes a long way- no greasiness - protects for a long time- was given a gift of *udder cream* once- it caused immediate red spots and horrible itching/burning- so i guess i'm allergic to something in it-
gold bond medicated is also a very good choice
Old 01-14-2012, 08:28 AM

I use Gloves in a Bottle. I found some at a LQS years ago. You can use it and go on sewing, even hand sewing, no slip, stick, or mess.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:43 AM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned emu oil. Not only good for dry cracked hands and feet but also minor skin abrasions ... and massaging it onto arthritic areas (knees, ankles, etc) provides relief.