Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewn down seam allowence. >

Sewn down seam allowence.

Sewn down seam allowence.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

I correct them by snipping a few stitches at the flipped seam allowance and resew the small spot. I use my Purple Thang as a stiletto to hold seam allowances as I sew over them to help prevent flipped seams. I like a nice flat top so it makes quilting easier.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I iron them flat with the turn being away from the intersection. I have never thought about it being something to worry about because who cares. I think by snipping the seam it will weaken it.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:23 AM

My machine tends to catch a seam too and I read on Bonnie Hunters site to put a piece of tape over where it is catching and presto problem solved!
Old 02-15-2016, 08:51 AM

I just leave it, no one is perfect, certainly not me. LOL Quilting is supposed to be fun!!!
Old 02-15-2016, 08:52 AM

I think you need to make a distinction re: what purpose is the quilt? If it's a "dragger"... Don't fuss over it so much....if it's a " show" quilt....sorry,you need to unsew a little. In the meantime,I consider being able to not be a perfectionist is a goal; perfectionism raises my blood pressure!
Old 02-16-2016, 03:25 AM

[QUOTE=quilterpurpledog;7466019]This happens to all of us because the feed dogs just catch the edge and pull a seam allowance under. I think it creates a problem-especially when using s DSM. QUOTE]

I recently read a hint on how to avoid flipped seams (it may have been in Bonnie Hunter's Allietare mystery) that in piecing with your seams nested, you feed your top seam facing the back of your machine while the bottom seam will lie toward you... that way you can guide the top seam under your presser foot correctly and you won't have to worry about what's going on underneath. When you have the bottom seam facing toward the back, the feed dogs catch and flip ...

many of you probably already know this but I thought it was an ah ha moment for me.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:55 AM

I have been known to turn the seam in the middle so that it points in the right direction. Having said that, I don't ever do any stitch in the ditch quilting, or right next to a seam line. Those turns could show up if you do your quilting like that. My quilting is all free hand or pantograph designs. Mostly pantos. They hide a multitude of piecing sins.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes, it is not possible to keep the seams down flat for a variety of reasons such the number of seams and so on. A quilt store owner showed me how to turn the seam in the middle and press it down. How liberating! I quilt my own tops on my mid arm, and those seams do not cause any problems. All my quilting is FMQ and there is no SITD.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 AM

I used to do the ripping and restitching...or, I'd let one "twisted" one slide and feel guilty about it. Well, that was until I saw Jenny Doan's videos (I love that gal!). She, and a lot of you, are right. If it doesn't cause a problem on the right side, I let it slide. Barb in La, you said it well. And quilttiger, thanks for the pressing tip.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:10 AM

Another thing to consider is, are you taking this to a LAer? If so, they are not too fond of twisted seams that can cause big problems for them.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I recently read a hint on how to avoid flipped seams (it may have been in Bonnie Hunter's Allietare mystery) that in piecing with your seams nested, you feed your top seam facing the back of your machine while the bottom seam will lie toward you... that way you can guide the top seam under your presser foot correctly and you won't have to worry about what's going on underneath. When you have the bottom seam facing toward the back, the feed dogs catch and flip ... many of you probably already know this but I thought it was an ah ha moment for me.
This is the way I do it. When I press long rows of blocks, I make sure the seams are pressed one way on the even numbered rows and the other way on the odd numbered rows. When I take the first two to be sewn, I choose a set that will go under the needle the correct way. But the correct way is to the right of the needle. Sew each pair to the right of the needle. Then when you sew the pairs of two each, they will be sewn to the left of the needle the normal way. No matter how large the quilt is, if you sew all the pairs to the right of the needle, the rest will be to the left as usual.
I hope you can make sense of this.