Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewn down seam allowence. >

Sewn down seam allowence.

Sewn down seam allowence.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:10 AM

Default Sewn down seam allowence.

As hard as I try I sometimes stitch my seam allowence down going the wrong way. Should I pick those out and re stitch them as I go or do you just iron them flat? I'm still learning and it seems I pick out more stitches than I sew in sometimes. I can't wait until I get this process to go a little smoother.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:34 AM

IMHO - I leave them unless it is something that will be seen through a lighter colored material. I say that because I too would be doing a lot of 'reverse' quilting. When everything is put together you won't know they are the wrong way. But, that's just my opinion.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:46 AM

I took a class by AQS Show Director Bonnie Browning. She suggested just making a snip in the fabric near the intersection (be careful to cut inward, close to the line of stitching, but not through it), flip the seam the correct way & then press it down. No one is perfect & if it's good enough for QuiltWeek, it's good enough for me.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:18 AM

I looked at the back of some quilts of a known quilter and she had some stitched in the wrong direction. I don't remember which quilter it was but she left them. I figured they would never show unless someone was inspecting for a show
Old 02-15-2016, 03:55 AM

I try to fix them as I go, but have left some if I think it will not be noticed on the right side. I do a lot of pressing as I go, so most do end up turned toward the correct side.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:40 AM

This happens to all of us because the feed dogs just catch the edge and pull a seam allowance under. I think it creates a problem-especially when using s DSM. I check every seam as I sew or press. If one is turned wrong I fix it. It involves only clipping a couple of stitches to free it and then restitch it.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 AM

I was fixing all these stitches, then I bought a long arm (very used) and started doing my own quilting. I can't even find where the stitches went the wrong way after quilting or while I am doing the quilting. The exception is, if the fabric is too dark and you can see it on the front. Then I fix it. Or, if the seam is just too darn bulky.

I have been known to turn the seam in the middle so that it points in the right direction. Having said that, I don't ever do any stitch in the ditch quilting, or right next to a seam line. Those turns could show up if you do your quilting like that. My quilting is all free hand or pantograph designs. Mostly pantos. They hide a multitude of piecing sins.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

I just press the right way (letting the seam allowance fold) and go on. Don't have time to pick and resew seams, esp when it won't matter in the end.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:08 AM

This happens to me all of the time! I press a "flip" into the seam a little ways from the intersection. It is easier to make it flat there. The batting takes in a lot of imperfection in our finished quilts. I prefer not to make any snips as I think this can alter the quilt integrity - but, this is only me and my opinion.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I try to be careful using pins so that they will stay in the correct position. I prefer to have my seams nest. Otherwise, I just press them how they are sewn (unless under a lighter fabric)