Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shadow box quilt - how big to make the squares and shadow? >

Shadow box quilt - how big to make the squares and shadow?

Shadow box quilt - how big to make the squares and shadow?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:03 PM

Thank you all for the input. I really appreciate it. I'm thinking 5" squares and 1.5" (both finished) shadows. Thank you so much!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I like the way you added the squares as an example. I did look at the link you provided (spent some time drooling there). It looks to me like the shadow block is the same size as the pink block. Of course, only cutting the black to make the shadow part, then adding the white blocks of the backing color. I would cut your "pink" for a 5" finished block, then your black at 1 1/2 X 5 1/2 for the vertical strip, and 1 1/2 x 4 1/2 for the horizontal shadow. Cut the two backing squares at 1 1/2 each. (Unless you want to do a set in seam and cut the black as an "L".)

I hope this sounds a bit more clear that mud. I can see what I would do, just trying to give you a visual you can make sense of. :-)
Makes perfect sense, thank you. And set in seams, ah hah hah hah ha. Yeah, no :D
Old 04-17-2011, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
One hint to watch out for...the outer border on the two sides with shadows can be confusing. Remember that you want your eye to center the blocks, NOT the shadows, it's all to enhance the illusion. The outer edge of the block to the edge of the quilt should be the same all the way around, regardless of shadows. Have a grand time!!
Beautiful pictures, thank you. I want to make sure I understand - are you saying to use the same width for the sashing/border (in my picture, the white) all the way around? So not do the top at 2" and sides at 3" ? Or that if I do a 2" shadow that I should do a 2" border. Or something else?

Old 03-06-2012, 03:32 PM

I have made the boxes and the focal point fabric, but since they are not all equal what should I do? I used a picture panel of impressionist artists and the finished pieces aren't all the same width and length. Any ideas?