Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shakespeare in the Park- I'm already sick of it! >

Shakespeare in the Park- I'm already sick of it!

Shakespeare in the Park- I'm already sick of it!

Old 08-16-2017, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Default Shakespeare in the Park- I'm already sick of it!

What have I gotten myself into?

It has about a million pieces to it. Started cutting them out yesterday.
I thought no biggie- all rotary cut- wrong!
There are 2 triangles that have to be cut a certain way and my brain cannot figure it out so I used
templates. I need a total of 90 of these two.

By evening my neck was sore and my brain was fuzzy. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.
It looks like it will go together well though.

Anyone else make this one? I know I saw one on the board. It's a really pretty pattern.

For the past few years I've been making a lot of Jenny Doan's quilts. While they require a lot of cutting they seem a lot easier.

Thanks for listening
Old 08-16-2017, 04:40 AM

I just searched the quilt and it is a beauty! Take it slow and enjoy the process!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

here's one pposted to the QB https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...7-100_1422.jpg
It sounds like yours will be more extensive than this. What colors are you using? It will definitely be worth the effort you have to put in.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

here's a more complicated layout posted here https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...ment-93315.jpe
Old 08-16-2017, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
here's one pposted to the QB https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...7-100_1422.jpg
It sounds like yours will be more extensive than this. What colors are you using? It will definitely be worth the effort you have to put in.
Nancy, I'm using reds, greens, and creams. It seems that I do so much work in blues that I decided to use these colors. I wanted mine a little more scrappy than the link (beautiful) but not so much as to take away from the design.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:24 AM

I haven't heard of this pattern so I had to look - it's a nice pattern and looks like a Lot of work! But I have to wonder how it got its name. I probably would have called it something super cool like "Stars and Snails" LOL

I bet it's going to be amazing when you're done, though! It looks like a great pattern to do a little"scrappy".

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-16-2018 at 02:49 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-16-2017, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I haven't heard of this pattern so I had to look - it's a nice pattern and looks like a Lot of work! But I have to wonder how it got its name. I probably would have called it something super cool like "Stars and Snails" LOL

I bet it's going to be amazing when you're done, though! It looks like a great pattern to do a little"scrappy".
Haha, your name sounds more appropriate! I have no idea how it got it's name but I love Shakespeare so that may have been the draw for me.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-16-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:39 AM

I just spent last week in Ashland, Oregon, for the Shakespeare Festival (which is actually all summer long). While the Shakespeare plays were good, my favorite was The Odyssey.

It's a very pretty quilt, I may have to add it to my bucket list. Good luck with the rest of the cutting. Hopefully the method will "click" soon for you!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:52 AM

Huh, I was thinking about attempting one of these soon. I have an Accuquilt die for the Snail's Trail block and one for the Ohio Star, but the inside of the star is different so I need to think about that a bit. After reading your post, maybe I need to think a lot more, lol.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:16 AM

I'm so sorry you're already frustrated, but don't give up yet!! You'll be happy in the end and it will be worth the effort. Are you following from the original pattern? I did, and I think many of the pieces could have been strip pieced and streamlined to make for more efficient cutting. I made notes in the book for future reference so that I'm able to make it again without all the fatigue and endless cutting. It would be great if some of the classic quilt patterns could be re-written to incorporate today's cutting and piecing methods. I have not quilted the top yet, but hopefully by the end of the year I'm able to get it on my longarm to complete.