Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sharing the sun rise >

Sharing the sun rise

Sharing the sun rise

Old 12-04-2009, 11:21 PM

This is a stunning photo. I recently took a class with Ruth McDowell and learned alot. You may want to check out some of her books too.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:12 PM

That is a beautiful photo. Can't wait to see what your quilt will look like!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 PM

There's a class at Quilt University that might interest you. It's called People in Places and is taught by Linda Schmidt (it's down under Pictorial Quilts). The class starts January 15th. http://www.quiltuniversity.com/catalog.htm
Old 12-06-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by bettyjo
I am thinking how to quilt this wonderful photo taken two years ago at Myrtle Beach. I have been reading how to do picture quilting. and love it. Mine will not be the little bitty pieces but not all appliqued either.. Have ordered some special ocean fabric and will cut and piece to make it better.. the sky and rising sun will be interesting to piece and blend.

Boy do I need any hints and instruction on doing this..

Betty
How about a landscape quilt? You could use some of your favorite fabrics to go along with those two wonderful guys or you could fabric paint your own to make the beautiful sunrise...
Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by DollyRose
Originally Posted by bettyjo
I am thinking how to quilt this wonderful photo taken two years ago at Myrtle Beach. I have been reading how to do picture quilting. and love it. Mine will not be the little bitty pieces but not all appliqued either.. Have ordered some special ocean fabric and will cut and piece to make it better.. the sky and rising sun will be interesting to piece and blend.

Boy do I need any hints and instruction on doing this..

Betty
How about a landscape quilt? You could use some of your favorite fabrics to go along with those two wonderful guys or you could fabric paint your own to make the beautiful sunrise...
Oh, and what about some of that shrinky texture stuff for the wave foam?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Power Poster

If you were to break down this picture, You have the sky, ocean, the rock, silouhette, and the birds.

I would look for a fabric that best represents each of these, the silouhette and rock can be solid or slightly mottled and a slightly different shade from each other. The birds can be embroidered or painted on. Blow up the picture and trace out each element and transfer that onto the back of fusible web, make each piece 1/2" bigger all of the way around so it is easier to work with while fusing. Fuse to the back side of your fabrics. Use a piece of a lighter colored fabric as the back and fuse your pieces on. The sky, then the ocean, then the rock, the silouhette last. Then you can blanket stitch, FMQ, whatever calls to you for the quilting.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:23 AM

About a year ago I bought some software off of Ebay called 'Big Picture Quilts software'. It makes your photo into 4 pieces and you print it off on fabric photo paper. I honestly haven't used it yet, but it's on the list of to-do things :):) That photograph is stunning.