Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: sharon schamber

i watched a video and saw her use glue instead of pins. she used a metal tip that her daughter sells online. what a surprise!

has anyone tried that method?

Blog Entries
    Not yet, but hope to this weekend. I have everything but the metal tips...not quite sure what I'll do if I don't get some by then...my friend suggested applying the glue with a toothpick. Since it's a small quilt, I might just try it that way. Sharon does sell the tips on her site...it's more $ for shipping than for the tips, so I haven't ordered yet until I look to see if there's anything else to buy to justify the shipping cost.

i was wondering if...see, i'm very cheap if it's possible to find an alternative...i can put school glue into a sewing machine oil dispenser that has that teeny hole and use that. it has a little cap that would keep it from drying out.

what do you think? it's probably a lot less $ an no shipping.

I use this method for binding all the time. It's great! When using the iron on the glue, just use the tip of the iron on the binding only. If you put the iron on the quilt you may flatten your batting and it won't come back up even after washing.

The metal tip on the glue is actually the pencil end of a mechanical pencil. You don't really need to buy the special bottle tips. Just pry off the orange tip of the glue top and "screw on" the pencil tip. I've not found any place to buy just the pencil tips but you can order the same "Sharon Schambers" glue kit from Plaid, that's what I did.

I'm told you can use the tips off of the Bic Mechanical Pencils, but I've not tried those.

To clean up my pencil tip I just let is soak in hot soapy water for about an hour and voila all the glue is gone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    i was wondering if...see, i'm very cheap if it's possible to find an alternative...i can put school glue into a sewing machine oil dispenser that has that teeny hole and use that. it has a little cap that would keep it from drying out.

what do you think? it's probably a lot less $ an no shipping.
    I'd sure give that a shot! Let me know how it works!

I don't have anything suitable lying around the house. I did look at Joann's in every department I could think of, but didn't find anything with a small enough hole. Our local Michael's is in the process of moving, so I didn't get to check there. Maybe I'll check at the hardware store!

Has anyone tried glue sticks? I use it on my binding when I fold it in half. I do not iron my binding, just finger press it. I read where someone said they used glue stick to attach the binding to the back side of the quilt.

All sorts of possibilities. We can create our own!!! But school glue is sort of messy, right? I don't think I would be inclined to try that one!

Let us know how it works, those of you who have tried it.

June

Interesting. I need to check this out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    Has anyone tried glue sticks? I use it on my binding when I fold it in half. I do not iron my binding, just finger press it. I read where someone said they used glue stick to attach the binding to the back side of the quilt.

All sorts of possibilities. We can create our own!!! But school glue is sort of messy, right? I don't think I would be inclined to try that one!

Let us know how it works, those of you who have tried it.

June
    Haven't tried glue sticks. Do they wash out like the School Glue?

I think the trick with the school glue is in using the fine tip. It would dispense much less than using the bottle alone. This weekend I'll test it out on some scraps or a doll quilt and see how it goes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    Interesting. I need to check this out.
    http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...gel/index.html

It's in the "Binding the Angel" video clip.

Blog Entries
    I have used Elmer's School Glue or Roxanne's Basting glue since I started quilting and couldn't get my seams to match. :D Sometimes I glued a tiny teeny point of fabric to get my point back that I cut off in the seam. :wink:
    I bought the glue tips Sharon uses the first time I saw her use them. They are heavy weight and the tips are long giving a even very fine line of glue. I didn't know the mech. pencil trick. That's nifty. Did you know, Elmer's School glue is a very heavy starch not a glue.

I also use this system for binding....and I love it!

I used Fons and Porters glue stick until I saw the Elmers video. I like the Elmers much better but need to get the tip. The smallest bottle of Elmers has a smaller tip and it works good but I want the metal tip.

Blog Entries
    I haven't used them yet, but JoAnn's online had small "glue applicator" bottles with metal tips on sale a few weeks ago. Also found a set of applicator bottles with metal tips at Michael's. They were in the porcelain painting section.

I was about to try her method, and I did find the glue tips that she sells:

Plaid Art Materials - Tip Pen Set

They sell at many craft stores, or online at United Art & Education, here:

http://www.unitednow.com/detail.asp?...T_ID=PLD-50136

I read about a lady who uses a funnel made out of tape, taped around her glue tip to keep it small. Also, some say that they keep it small enough by just not twisting the tip open very far.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    I use this method for binding all the time. It's great! When using the iron on the glue, just use the tip of the iron on the binding only. If you put the iron on the quilt you may flatten your batting and it won't come back up even after washing.

The metal tip on the glue is actually the pencil end of a mechanical pencil. You don't really need to buy the special bottle tips. Just pry off the orange tip of the glue top and "screw on" the pencil tip. I've not found any place to buy just the pencil tips but you can order the same "Sharon Schambers" glue kit from Plaid, that's what I did.

I'm told you can use the tips off of the Bic Mechanical Pencils, but I've not tried those.

To clean up my pencil tip I just let is soak in hot soapy water for about an hour and voila all the glue is gone.
    i just want to make sure i have it right. you take a mechanical pencil apart. using the tip, where the lead would come out, you force that metal part down into the hole at the tip of the glue bottle. then you can squeeze the glue right through the metal hole. the glue cap fits over the pencil/applicator tip to keep it moist. you soak in warm water to clean it out. is that about right? that sounds like a great way to do this.

Blog Entries
    I have also heard of putting a small damp sponge in the bottom of a small jar so the tip doesn't get gummy as you work. You tip the glue container upside down so the tip is in contact with the damp sponge.

Just curious ... was she using fabric cut on the bias or just strips cut on grain?

RedGarnet222,
    if you mean sharon schamber, then from what i remember it was straight grain. she used it for sashings and cornerstones in the video. (look for it on youtube) the advantage was that there was no pin distortion, especially at intersecting seams. it certainly looked like a much better system than pinning.
    i don't know why it wouldn't work on off-grain, since once the glue is appllied, you heat set it with only the tip of the iron. that dries the glue instantly and you go on from there.

She demos the process here, it's free:

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/

that's where i first saw it. i just don't want to buy that tip from her and pay $ for s+h if there's a less $ way, is all.

I just went in and looked close at the threads of the binding in the video. They are running like she used cut fabric with the grain. Huh, I was always told to use the bias because of the cross threads on the edge make it more durable. Interesting ... very interesting. I suppose because this is a wallhanging it would not be as important ??? Live and learn

Blog Entries
    I found a mech pencil and tried the tip trick. I rather pay the s/h, a lot less hassle for me. I had a glue mess. :D

I used Elmer's school glue to sew the circles on this quilt. http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/17782.page

I didn't use a special tip, I found if I was just a little bit careful I could get a thin bead of glue just using the tip on the bottle. I also used it on some bias binding on a set of potholders and it worked great. I'll be using it from now on instead of pins.

that tells me exactly what i want to know. thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast