Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sharon schamber >

sharon schamber

sharon schamber

Old 03-30-2009, 04:45 PM

i watched a video and saw her use glue instead of pins. she used a metal tip that her daughter sells online. what a surprise!

has anyone tried that method?
Old 03-30-2009, 04:53 PM

Not yet, but hope to this weekend. I have everything but the metal tips...not quite sure what I'll do if I don't get some by then...my friend suggested applying the glue with a toothpick. Since it's a small quilt, I might just try it that way. Sharon does sell the tips on her site...it's more $ for shipping than for the tips, so I haven't ordered yet until I look to see if there's anything else to buy to justify the shipping cost.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 PM

i was wondering if...see, i'm very cheap if it's possible to find an alternative...i can put school glue into a sewing machine oil dispenser that has that teeny hole and use that. it has a little cap that would keep it from drying out.

what do you think? it's probably a lot less $ an no shipping.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:23 PM

I use this method for binding all the time. It's great! When using the iron on the glue, just use the tip of the iron on the binding only. If you put the iron on the quilt you may flatten your batting and it won't come back up even after washing.

The metal tip on the glue is actually the pencil end of a mechanical pencil. You don't really need to buy the special bottle tips. Just pry off the orange tip of the glue top and "screw on" the pencil tip. I've not found any place to buy just the pencil tips but you can order the same "Sharon Schambers" glue kit from Plaid, that's what I did.

I'm told you can use the tips off of the Bic Mechanical Pencils, but I've not tried those.

To clean up my pencil tip I just let is soak in hot soapy water for about an hour and voila all the glue is gone.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i was wondering if...see, i'm very cheap if it's possible to find an alternative...i can put school glue into a sewing machine oil dispenser that has that teeny hole and use that. it has a little cap that would keep it from drying out.

what do you think? it's probably a lot less $ an no shipping.
I'd sure give that a shot! Let me know how it works!

I don't have anything suitable lying around the house. I did look at Joann's in every department I could think of, but didn't find anything with a small enough hole. Our local Michael's is in the process of moving, so I didn't get to check there. Maybe I'll check at the hardware store!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:25 PM

Has anyone tried glue sticks? I use it on my binding when I fold it in half. I do not iron my binding, just finger press it. I read where someone said they used glue stick to attach the binding to the back side of the quilt.

All sorts of possibilities. We can create our own!!! But school glue is sort of messy, right? I don't think I would be inclined to try that one!

Let us know how it works, those of you who have tried it.

June
Old 03-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Interesting. I need to check this out.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by june6995
Has anyone tried glue sticks? I use it on my binding when I fold it in half. I do not iron my binding, just finger press it. I read where someone said they used glue stick to attach the binding to the back side of the quilt.

All sorts of possibilities. We can create our own!!! But school glue is sort of messy, right? I don't think I would be inclined to try that one!

Let us know how it works, those of you who have tried it.

June
Haven't tried glue sticks. Do they wash out like the School Glue?

I think the trick with the school glue is in using the fine tip. It would dispense much less than using the bottle alone. This weekend I'll test it out on some scraps or a doll quilt and see how it goes.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Interesting. I need to check this out.
http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...gel/index.html

It's in the "Binding the Angel" video clip.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

I have used Elmer's School Glue or Roxanne's Basting glue since I started quilting and couldn't get my seams to match. :D Sometimes I glued a tiny teeny point of fabric to get my point back that I cut off in the seam. :wink:
I bought the glue tips Sharon uses the first time I saw her use them. They are heavy weight and the tips are long giving a even very fine line of glue. I didn't know the mech. pencil trick. That's nifty. Did you know, Elmer's School glue is a very heavy starch not a glue.