Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: sharon schamber

It's the only way I do binding anymore. It takes time to glue everything down but saves sooo much more time in the sewing process. Sharon used to have a free video on how to make these glue tips with plain on mechanical pencils. But it's been removed since she started selling the tips.

I use glue sticks that wash out. Works well on my projects. Have not used the permanent since I wash mine out. You can get them in small tubes (cylinders) at WalMart or Staples.

More good information! I learn so much here! :lol:

Yes, I took a class from Sharon (fantastic teacher) earlier this year (piecelique). It's a variation on paper piecing, and I love it much more. I find it faster, more accurate, and easier to understand once I got the hang of it. No paper to pull off the back when the block is done, and you only need 2 copies of the pattern for multiple blocks: one for cutting, one for placement. Works great on curves. Also, you can flip each seam whichever side you want it before sewing the next. I used a bottle of Glue-Baste-It with a long thin metal applicator. You can see a picture at www.thatperfectstitch.com under notions tab. I expect you can find that type of bottle in a well stocked craft store. I don't see how glue stick would work well, and it would be a lot slower than washable school glue.

Great ideas!!

Yes I use her method in a lot of my quilting. I love her method of glue baste appique on foundation paper. Just finished a quilt with her corded binding technique. I think her work is fantastic and so glad she is willing to share her methods with us. I also have learned a lot about free motion quilting from her for both my longarm and domestic machine. Her web site gives a lot of free information and the paid part is well worth the money

Sharon Schamber's technique is awesome! I attended her workshop when she came to our guild. Use Elmer's school glue sticks because that glue washes out when you're done. She uses glue sticks for everything! I was amazed. It works great and now it's a favorite technique of mine. By the way, the point of using the tiny metal tip on the glue bottle is so you just use a tiny amount of glue. Very little glue is needed, so however you get the that end result, go for it!

Yes and it really works!! Try it. Your binding will look like a "best of show". :wink:

If you go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby, you might find Roxanne's Glue Baste it with the metal tip.

But don't ever buy her glue again after this purchase to get the metal tip. It is way too expensive. $7.50-$8.00 plus shipping if ordering on line...
    .25 oz. -$3.50 (ridiculous for glue only)

Roxann's glue is Elmer's, so just buy Elmer's water soluable and refil your bottle with the metal tip.

I took Sharon's class two year ago before she started selling the metal tip.

I can tell you that if you do not get a metal tip, you will have a mess on your hands. Then just clean the tip with soapy water, then blow through it and you are ready to use again.
    This technique is Great!
    Diana in Texas

Blog Entries
    Just got the applicator bottles/tips at Michael's. They were near the acrylic paints, but in the next aisle (I'm sure it varies by store). There were 2 bottles and tips in a set for $7.99 and I used a 50% coupon. Not bad! I'm anxious to try it out!

Banned
    I've never even thought of glue!! What an awesome idea!!!

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Ok, I have a question about glueing material. I have a glue for material can I use this or school glue to applique? I have been using steam a seam 2 but I live in Argentina and they do not sell that here. I am making a applique quilt now and I have run out of steam a seam. I am waiting for my sister-in-law to bring me some that I sent to her daughter's house in FL. She is coming back on April 20th so I do not have to wait long. But for future is is possible to use glue for this purpose??
    Thanks everyone,
    Penny

I took one of her classes a Quilt Camp in the Pines, Flagstaff AZ. She uses regular elmers school glue and irons it to dry it and set it. The tips can be bought at Micheals or Joannes. Any tip that gives a very fine line works. She uses this technique in her paperless paper piecing. Visit her website for tutorials.
    Kay

Sharon uses school (starch based) glue: it washes out so that you don't stitch through the glue when quilting, and because it is cheap. Many fabric glues are intended to be permanent when heat set, others are intended for basting (wash out). The permanent glues can trigger allergy problems in some sensitive people.

Thank you Leigh. Can I use fabric spray adhesive? If not will go with the school glue.
    Penny

Don't think that would work very well. You glue all your seams first, then (working in reverse) open up each fold and sew on the fold line. That would be more difficult with a spray, not to mention being more expensive. If you want to test the pieclique concept, you could probably use school glue applied with the tip of a toothpick: much slower than the fine tip glue bottle, but you probably have toothpicks and school glue in the house. Look at http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...ewasugo/1.html
    to see how Sharon does it.

Leigh:
    Thank you for the link. Will watch this and see how it is done by her.
    Penny

I just want to add that it is stessed by Sharon Schamber to use:
    Elmer's WASHABLE School Glue.

Elmer's has a lot of products, incuding School Glue
    that is NOT their "washable" type.

WOW!! After all this time, I hadn't even thought about using glue :oops:
    I have 2 baby quilts (soon to be 3) that need binding. Guess I'll start looking for the tips so I'll have them when the time comes!!

Piedmont Quilter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    Has anyone tried glue sticks? I use it on my binding when I fold it in half. I do not iron my binding, just finger press it. I read where someone said they used glue stick to attach the binding to the back side of the quilt.

All sorts of possibilities. We can create our own!!! But school glue is sort of messy, right? I don't think I would be inclined to try that one!

Let us know how it works, those of you who have tried it.

June
    Although I haven't tried it yet, doesn't the Elmers wash out when laundering the quilt? Will the glue sticks wash out?

Blog Entries
    It's used to hold it together while you stitch it, then you wash it out.

I don't know if I'd like using glue sticks. The one's I've used in the past on other projects were kind of gummy...maybe too much so. It's been awhile since I've tried one, maybe they're better now. I think I read that there are some that wash out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh
    Don't think that would work very well. You glue all your seams first, then (working in reverse) open up each fold and sew on the fold line. That would be more difficult with a spray, not to mention being more expensive. If you want to test the pieclique concept, you could probably use school glue applied with the tip of a toothpick: much slower than the fine tip glue bottle, but you probably have toothpicks and school glue in the house. Look at http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...ewasugo/1.html
    to see how Sharon does it.
    Thank you SO MUCH for clueing us in about her web site. The tute is marvelous. I can't wait to try her piecelique method.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    i watched a video and saw her use glue instead of pins. she used a metal tip that her daughter sells online. what a surprise!

has anyone tried that method?
    This glue tip is very small and you use Elmer white glue. It' works great, but be sure to wash it out after you finishes the quilt. I have seen fabric turn yellow where glue has been after several years.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    It's used to hold it together while you stitch it, then you wash it out.

I don't know if I'd like using glue sticks. The one's I've used in the past on other projects were kind of gummy...maybe too much so. It's been awhile since I've tried one, maybe they're better now. I think I read that there are some that wash out.
    A tip I got on using glue sticks is to keep them in the freezer. When the one you are using starts getting gummy, switch to a frozen one. I found that I had better luck when I let it sit for just a minute that it worked better than right out of the freezer.

the most important thing about using Elmores glue in quilting is to remember that it must be Elmores washable school glue or washable glue sticks. They are nothing more than starch and rinse out easily and easy clean up. There are other washable glue sticks on the market that I have tried and are a little cheaper but don't go on quite as easy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast