Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sharon schamber >

sharon schamber

sharon schamber

Old 04-01-2009, 06:44 AM

Yes I use her method in a lot of my quilting. I love her method of glue baste appique on foundation paper. Just finished a quilt with her corded binding technique. I think her work is fantastic and so glad she is willing to share her methods with us. I also have learned a lot about free motion quilting from her for both my longarm and domestic machine. Her web site gives a lot of free information and the paid part is well worth the money
Old 04-01-2009, 07:14 AM

Sharon Schamber's technique is awesome! I attended her workshop when she came to our guild. Use Elmer's school glue sticks because that glue washes out when you're done. She uses glue sticks for everything! I was amazed. It works great and now it's a favorite technique of mine. By the way, the point of using the tiny metal tip on the glue bottle is so you just use a tiny amount of glue. Very little glue is needed, so however you get the that end result, go for it!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 AM

Yes and it really works!! Try it. Your binding will look like a "best of show". :wink:
Old 04-01-2009, 07:36 AM

If you go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby, you might find Roxanne's Glue Baste it with the metal tip.

But don't ever buy her glue again after this purchase to get the metal tip. It is way too expensive. $7.50-$8.00 plus shipping if ordering on line...
.25 oz. -$3.50 (ridiculous for glue only)

Roxann's glue is Elmer's, so just buy Elmer's water soluable and refil your bottle with the metal tip.

I took Sharon's class two year ago before she started selling the metal tip.

I can tell you that if you do not get a metal tip, you will have a mess on your hands. Then just clean the tip with soapy water, then blow through it and you are ready to use again.
This technique is Great!
Diana in Texas
Old 04-01-2009, 08:21 AM

Just got the applicator bottles/tips at Michael's. They were near the acrylic paints, but in the next aisle (I'm sure it varies by store). There were 2 bottles and tips in a set for $7.99 and I used a 50% coupon. Not bad! I'm anxious to try it out!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Banned

I've never even thought of glue!! What an awesome idea!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Ok, I have a question about glueing material. I have a glue for material can I use this or school glue to applique? I have been using steam a seam 2 but I live in Argentina and they do not sell that here. I am making a applique quilt now and I have run out of steam a seam. I am waiting for my sister-in-law to bring me some that I sent to her daughter's house in FL. She is coming back on April 20th so I do not have to wait long. But for future is is possible to use glue for this purpose??
Thanks everyone,
Penny
Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 AM

I took one of her classes a Quilt Camp in the Pines, Flagstaff AZ. She uses regular elmers school glue and irons it to dry it and set it. The tips can be bought at Micheals or Joannes. Any tip that gives a very fine line works. She uses this technique in her paperless paper piecing. Visit her website for tutorials.
Kay
Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 AM

Sharon uses school (starch based) glue: it washes out so that you don't stitch through the glue when quilting, and because it is cheap. Many fabric glues are intended to be permanent when heat set, others are intended for basting (wash out). The permanent glues can trigger allergy problems in some sensitive people.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:45 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Thank you Leigh. Can I use fabric spray adhesive? If not will go with the school glue.
Penny