Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sharp Pins >

Sharp Pins

Sharp Pins

Old 04-27-2017, 01:26 PM

Default Sharp Pins

It seems to me that the pins you can now buy to use for fabric are so dull. I've been looking for some that are sharp, but not the short ones for applique. Does anyone have a favorite brand of pins that they use?
Old 04-27-2017, 01:34 PM

The flower head pins are the sharpest and nice and long. They are my favorites.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:37 PM

I like the silk pins - I believe the brand is Clover. I also like the flat head pins with the various shapes like flowers. used to buy the yellow glass head pins but got tired of so many not having any points on them. Also, used to get "dress maker pins" but compared to the silk pins they are like using crow bars. Usually buy my pins when they are either on sale or when I need "something" to go over a limit to get free shipping.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:06 PM

I use the Clover extra-fine patchwork pins (0.4mm thick - very thin!). You can get them from a number of places online, including Connecting Threads. http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...hworkPins.html
Old 04-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

I like Clover pins the best so far. Be aware that there are multiple considerations for pins. For example, the finer the pin, the more easily it will bend. This is probably why the finest pins tend to come in the shortest sizes. If you want a longer pin, you need to go up in size a bit. For pinning applique, the best pin is probably very fine and very short (silk pins). For piecing, the 0.04mm pin in the longest length it comes in could be your best choice. For pinning a binding in place, a thicker pin that won't bend might be needed.

I prefer glass head pins -- the bigger and brighter the head, the better for me (so I can more easily see and feel them!) -- but only if the pins are sharp.

In my experience, Clover brand consistently delivers good quality, and not just in pins.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:22 PM

Another vote for Clover patchwork pins!
Old 04-27-2017, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

i like the glass head silk pins... i buy them at walmart
Old 04-27-2017, 05:22 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I picked up a flyer on pins @ Joannes this week in the area where they have all kinds of pamphlets and tutorials and projects on a rack, usually near the front. It was surprisingly informative and I recommend it if you can find one.

Jan in VA
Old 04-27-2017, 06:01 PM

I like the ones that come with red or white glass bead heads. They're longer than the applique pins but not as long as the flower head type. They're sharp, and a bit flexible too. And you can iron over them. I don't have the name because the little box they come in doesn't have the paper on it anymore. It might be H. A. Kidd
Old 04-27-2017, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I picked up a flyer on pins @ Joannes this week in the area where they have all kinds of pamphlets and tutorials and projects on a rack, usually near the front. It was surprisingly informative and I recommend it if you can find one.

Jan in VA
Thanks for the info Jan! I didn't know there was such a wide variety of pins. I've used the same ones for years!