Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
She had the nerve to ask me..... >

She had the nerve to ask me.....

She had the nerve to ask me.....

Old 06-12-2015, 10:32 AM

My motto is always do the right thing, even though it is rarely done this day and time. Way to go Linda!!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:41 AM

Good for you, you did the right thing.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

I would have said buy the pattern and find out. People like her have thick skin and I wouldn't be bothered thinking I'd upset her. I really wouldn't care.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:51 AM

Simply point her to the Craftsy site and tell her you are certain the pattern may still be available for sale.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I would have said buy the pattern and find out. People like her have thick skin and I wouldn't be bothered thinking I'd upset her. I really wouldn't care.
Another good answer. People like that irritate me so much...��
Old 06-12-2015, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
Another good answer. People like that irritate me so much...��
I agree with this.... Yet these types of questions happen here and the response is expected to be all open and freesharing, and I wonder why we have to play by two sets of rules.
example - frequently when I show a quilt and give the pattern name, or others show a quilt, there is someone who will ask for a tutorial or ask for the center block size as a starting point to figure out the rest of the pattern. My initial thought to myself is to think "no, you can't have the information free at my expense when the pattern is available for purchase." But if that response were to be written, I see that either 1: someone jumps in to provide the information anyway, and 2: the person who politely said no ends up being vilified, and is perceived as not helpful, friendly, etc.

So, this dichotomy does exist, and just because we see it on FB and comment here doesn't mean we don't see it here and possibly comment somewhere else.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:41 PM

I can't remember how many times I've told my niece that doing the right thing and doing the popular thing aren't always the same. Last year my boss asked me to to something I didn't think was right/ethical and bordering on illegal. I refused. I was reprimanded and shunned by a few other employees. Well he was terminated a couple of months ago and I found out auditors had been watching for over a year. Had I done what I was asked, I would have been terminated too! The reprimand was cancelled and as of last week my former boss was arrested. It took a year for doing the right thing to pay off but it did two fold. That and it proves someone is always watching whether it be kids who look up to you, auditors looking for wrong doing, or your own conscious.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

If I give any info about a purchased pattern it depends on the question asked. If someone asks what sizes of the quilt are included or how many yards does it take to make one that is info I don't mind giving. I have been pm many times about being selfish or rude when posting 'buy your own' because many say others can't afford to buy the pattern. That is not my concern and I'm not making it my concern.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

Great response.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:23 PM

Yes you did good! If copyrighted they can buy it, if not it is okay to ask.

FREE Quilting Newsletter