Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
She had the nerve to ask me..... >

She had the nerve to ask me.....

She had the nerve to ask me.....

Old 06-13-2015, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

You were ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. Occasionally I have shared a pattern with a quilting FRIEND, but someone on FB, absolutely no way. I am 68 years old and I am still amazed at what people will ask for, especially something we have paid for like patterns, and expect us to just hand them over. Some people really have a lot of "B_______", it's amazing. Good for you.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:21 AM

You gave a great and correct answer. Everyone should respect copyright.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Huh? Doing the right thing is always the way to go. Great reply, lindaschipper! Kudos to you for setting a shining example of how to politely say 'no' in such cases.
Amen! I so heartily agree!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:52 AM

Absolutely not wrong. Pattern designers go to a lot of work to design a pattern, then break it down into segments and get all of the instructions together. Just try it for yourself on a really basic pattern. I do not mind paying for my patterns and will not share them with anyone othert han my VBFF
Old 06-13-2015, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

you did the right thing!!!
Old 06-13-2015, 10:16 PM

Well done!!! The original designer is entitled to her fees. If your FB aquaintance is that good at figuring out the pattern.....let her figutre it out​!!!
Old 06-14-2015, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
If I give any info about a purchased pattern it depends on the question asked. If someone asks what sizes of the quilt are included or how many yards does it take to make one that is info I don't mind giving. I have been pm many times about being selfish or rude when posting 'buy your own' because many say others can't afford to buy the pattern. That is not my concern and I'm not making it my concern.
Thank you for doing the right thing and as hard as it is, please delete those PMs without a thought. Those who send such a PM are the ones being rude, and most of those asking for the information aren't doing so because they can't afford it. For those who truly can't afford a pattern there are more free block and quilt patterns avaiable than one can even look at, let alone make, in a lifetime. A simple "I'm sorry, it's a purchased pattern and copyright prevents sharing that info" sends a clear, but unarguably polite message, what your stand is on this ethical issue. I'm a member of the same camp :-)
Old 06-14-2015, 03:01 PM

If the pattern is actually online and free (based on one that's been around forever), I would tell the person the name the pattern is listed under, and she can look it up for herself to get the yardage or buy the current pattern for the instructions and templates, I don't see anything wrong with that. If it's a new original pattern, then she buys it.

If I recognize a pattern like Irish Chain, and I can figure it out, I would never buy the pattern.

I just played with Broken Dishes. Lots of information here:
http://www.earlywomenmasters.net/qui...broken_dishes/

Quite interesting when done.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:18 PM

When I was younger other women taught me to crochet. I don't know if they had original patterns...it seems like a group of us were making rugs. Now I know more about copyright. Bottom line though, I would give a polite denial to a request for a copy of the pattern. I would however happily pass the pattern on to someone if I am not going to use it again. I think I wouldn't have trouble telling them the size of the center block.
We all communicate with written word here. I find the title of the thread off putting - which might not have been intended but the connotation seems - "I belong to the group that is right and this other person doesn't!"
I believe giving credit where credit is due but no one has a copyright on my brain and like others after years of quilting I don't really need patterns
Old 06-15-2015, 10:43 AM

You did the right thing. I would have said, can't do it dear, it's a copyright lol....anyway, I looked at the scrappy and I am familiar with that block, easy, easy and lovely in scraps.

FREE Quilting Newsletter