Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sheets as backing/ intricate FMQ >

Sheets as backing/ intricate FMQ

Sheets as backing/ intricate FMQ

Old 08-24-2020, 07:27 AM

Default Sheets as backing/ intricate FMQ

Using a sheet as backing would sure make things easy for my next quilt. I plan to do some intricate free motion quilting on it. My understanding is that the sheet thread count is just too high to allow this to be done easily. Has anyone used a sheet for a backing AND done intricate FMQ?
thanks
Old 08-24-2020, 07:45 AM

I have used a large sheet on a King size quilt that I hand quilted and it had a lot of intricate stitching. I don't know how it would work with a DSM.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:51 AM

I've never used a sheet as backing before. However, there have been many conversations and threads about it, and it's my understanding that the lower thread count sheets are better. The higher thread count sheets are just too tightly woven.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:59 AM

I use sheets all the time on the back of my quilts and do lots of intricate FMQ on a domestic machine.

They work great (and are very cost effective LOL ... the only thing I have noticed is that there is more "dust" than when using fabric. Not sure why, but I had to clean my machine more often.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Years ago I used a sheet on the back of a tied comforter and it kept sliding off the bed.

Never use sheets for backing on quilts. Either I use wide backing or cotton fabrics. Thread count too high. Walmaer does not carry low thread count sheets in my area.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:16 PM

I bought some low 200 thread count 100% ‘ vintage ‘ cotton sheets from JCPenny. I’ll test them. Hopefully since they have no polyester in them They won’t slide off the bed. We can use the bottom sheets and pillowcases on the bed. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:30 PM

I've used sheets a lot of times for backs and done lots of fmq and have never had a problem with them.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:35 PM

I work on a long arm and prefer no sheets due to high thread count, but have used them ok.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:58 PM

I've used sheets on many quilts and they do FMQ nicely, but I did make sure the thread count was low. Currently practicing my own FMQ on sheets that were given to me, but were just too stained to do anything with, so I cut them down and working with them that way, at least they're getting used and not thrown out. The thread count seems higher and I've not had a problem, but the dust issue that MarionsQuilts had I did as well, so do keep it in mind if you use a sheet, check the thread count and if it is high, be prepared to clean your machine regularly.

Last edited by Railroadersbrat; 08-24-2020 at 10:00 PM. Reason: I'm so tired, I don't think I need to be driving my laptop.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:18 AM

I used bed sheets on my first quilt which was appliqued blocks. It is probably about 30 years old. The border has completely disintegrated! Nothing but batting sticking out there. They won't stand the test of time.