Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shelf Life

Banned
    Last year I saw an exhibit at Houston that included quilts from the 1700s, including one made by Francis Scott Key's wife! Let's see, that's 200 years +! No shelf-life problems there,I don't think!

Dana

Well, then I sure inherited a bunch of "dead" fabrics. Some of them, my mother had for 30-40 years! and they still look good to me! ;-)

Blog Entries
    I have material that I know is at least 30 years old. Nothing wrong with it. I do however have some of my mother's spools of thread that I think might be out dated. I use it mostly for basting.

What! Use by dates on fabric? What will they think of next to part us from our hard earned cash... My O My...

Ckcowl is correct. I talked personnally to a designer of fabric for RJR and she said they only print the fabric for a set number of yards. When it goes to the stores, if it is liked and sold out, maybe you will never see the fabric again. If you see fabric you like, get it soon because it may go out especially at that store. You may be able to get it at another store if you are lucky. That is the story of fabric. I like designer fabrics and appreciate what they can accomplish. I sometimes think the price is high but most of the time the quality is there and the prints are to die for. I buy what I like. I am thinking about buying the boyscout fabric now even though my grandson is a cubscout. Probably it will not be available later. I must get it soon if I can still find it somewhere.

On F and P yesterday. the guest was showing some BEAUTIFUL fabric that was 100 years old - it looked brand new - so that just blows everything out of the water..........what I am learning is that there are NO authorities anywhere and we can't believe ANYTHING! haha

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    on some web site today I read that the shelf life of fabric is only 6-12 months.
    I wouldn't be reading that blog anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2