Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Shipping Items....

Just something that goes through my mind, especially this time of year, with shipping things. I sell things on eBay and on here, and buy way too much!!!
    Several years ago, I took a tip from the quilt shops that I order fabrics from to be sent to me. I try to make sure that the fabrics are in plastic, not a ziploc (don't want to hold in the moisture), but just folded over and scotch-taped. This prevents the fabrics becoming wet for when the rain or snow is all over our mailboxes, or the mail man leaves it at the door and then a rainstorm hits! I even try to do this with books.
    I used to have quite a supply of clear heavy duty plastic bags, but have run out of them. I use bakery bags for my smaller pieces.
    I guess my final thought is: don't be surprised if I send you something that arrives in a garbage bag (yes, it's clean....lol) inside the box! And, if anyone purchases anything from me that was not packaged appropriately, please let me know so that I may rectify the situation.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the tip, I never thought of a ziploc holding in the moisture. :?

Blog Entries
    I don't understand. How would moisture get in a ziplock bag, seems it would protect the fabric from the wet packaging.

I live in MT and we are in a wet season right now when some other parts of the country are in a hot season. If my son (in MS) ships me something from there in a ziploc, it is likely to fill with hot air somewhat. Then, when it gets here in the cooler rainy weather, it deflates and the hot air then turns into moisture.

Natalie:
    I just mailed a package to you. The fabric is in a zip lock, but has a hole near the top for ventilation. I like to recycle, so I use all my old "baggies" as I can. I trust it will arrive in satisfactory condition.
    Karen

Quote Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
    Thank you for the tip, I never thought of a ziploc holding in the moisture. :?
    Could it possibly condensation as they zip up so tight?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    YOu can also get them at a dollar store in all sizes and it cuts down your cost a lot. Good idea. I use trash bags when I don't go to the store. I hope I get a trash bag no matter what is in it. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    YOu can also get them at a dollar store in all sizes and it cuts down your cost a lot. Good idea. I use trash bags when I don't go to the store. I hope I get a trash bag no matter what is in it. LOL.
    And here I thought I was trying to empty out all your garbage bags,lol!!

I ship all of my quilts to QuiltsForKids and St. Judes in Ziploc 2 1/2 gallon bags. Their kits come in ziploc bags and I find that using the 2 1/2 gallon bags is a perfect fit. I zip the bag nearly all the way closed, leaving about an inch open then I roll it tightly to express the air and while tightly rolled, zip it closed. Doing it this way I am able to get 2 quilts in the large (12x12x5 1/2)Flat Rate USPS box. There has never been a question of condensation in my experience so far.
    I wonder if my expressing most of the air is the difference. I might try a smaller (waste basket size) thin plastic bag sometime if I need to ship just one and the added bulk due to air isn't a problem.
    My versios of the SpaceBag I guess. : = )

When I sent something to the States I always put in in plastic cling film (you know the one you put over your food left overs) I press it very hard so all the air will come out so it will fit in a small envelope. Shippingcosts are high from here.

Quote Originally Posted by pinot
    When I sent something to the States I always put in in plastic cling film (you know the one you put over your food left overs) I press it very hard so all the air will come out so it will fit in a small envelope. Shippingcosts are high from here.
    A lot of my friends from overseas use clingwrap for fabric shipments....I get it all crumpled up or stuck to me when I use it!

Okay, I've learned two things from the board today: don't give anyone a pattern and don't sent fabric wrapped in clingfilm.

Interesting but I always use Ziploc. I don't know about keeping moisture in when all my package failures have been about keeping it out.

I double Ziploc bag all of the contents of my deployment care packages and it saves the day. Package sat in fuel? No problem!

On the ebay boards, everyone use to enjoy making fun of odd packing materials. Is that no longer the case? I mean, there used to be plenty of folks who would leave negative feedback for unprofessional materials. It made for some seriously uptight packing situations in the past.

One Ziploc saved this fabric pack from extinction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I understand about the ziploc bags. I have family in other states and mail a lot. Very often I use the plastic bags that come in cereal boxes. I also use the cereal bags for onions and messy/smelly things in my fridge. That is reuse and do not have to wash more bowls.
    Quilter68 (who is now 69)