Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shipping a quilt >

Shipping a quilt

Shipping a quilt

Old 07-30-2011, 05:58 PM

Was wondering if any of you have shipped a quilt? Am sending a gift of a full size bed quilt to a friend down in Tennessee. Was thinking I would buy one of those "vacumn" bags at the store, then use the vac and suck all the extra air out once I put the quilt in it, and then boxing it up, and taking it to the post office. Would this work? I realize the quilt will be wrinkled but it will straighten out after she unpacks it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:04 PM

I shipped two quilts last year, MA and VA. I put each quilt inside a large plastic bag and took them to UPS. They boxed them, I filled out the labels and off they went. Both arrived in perfect condition. I did insure them.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:05 PM

I have mailed quilts in the States and to Australia. I sometimes used the vacuum bags. I think they worked really well. You can squish a double size quilt into a large flat rate box. They fluffed up real nice, when taken out.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:06 PM

I send my quilts out for Long Arming , and use a sturdy Box , I have used the XXXL zip lock bags they have in the grocery store.. or just line the box with a nice heavy plastic bag and twist tie it. I save my liitle bags of mosture control stuff you find in shoe boxes and in summer weather put those in the bag wrapped in acid free tissue. ( my friends collect those moisture things for me)
Old 07-30-2011, 06:07 PM

I shipped one this past winter. I used a space bag (the bag you suck the air out of) to make it more condensed then packed it and shipped it UPS. I didn't say it was a quilt, I said it was blankets. Someone told me you should never say it's a quilt. Yes, I did insure it.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:10 PM

ok, thanks everyone for the advice. I feel a bit better about it now. It should be ready to ship by the middle of this week. But will be relieved when she gets it and I know it arrived ok.
Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:13 PM

rach at the post office helps me pack my quilts I put them in a tall kitchen bag that smells nice and add fabric softner sheets into the quilt folds, oh how they smell so fresh lol, I would think that size would go into the meidum or large boxes flat rate quite easily, add insurance and tracking they say insurance you can track but i have not had much luck with it so I add tracking, and there off I have never had any issues with my quilts showing up. and never a complaint about any box buldge. but each po is different I think the ups in the malls and such are higher than going directly to a ups distribution shop.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:28 PM

I have sent quilts with the vacuum bags. Never heard of a problem yet.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Make SURE you insure it! And get delivery conformation too.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:49 AM

I ship mine by US mail in the flat rate large box. I like your idea of using a vacuum bag.