Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shoccked >

Shoccked

Shoccked

Old 11-18-2010, 08:02 AM

Now that I am organizing my fabric stash, it looks amazing and like I have spent a fortune. Actually most of it comes from deconstructed clothing but when folded neatly, it looks just like store bought!! lol. I really was shocked at how much I have when it's all organized. I have earned my fabrics with my labor of searching for yard sales and thrift stores, and time spent taking out seams and ripping apart garments. I get a thrill every time I look at it!!! Hugs and smiles. wildlinda
Old 11-18-2010, 08:56 AM

Only 4 or 5 baby quilts? You don't have any fabric!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 11-18-2010, 08:56 AM

Two months ago when I retired, my husband came upstairs to see how the sewing room was shaping up - - - but when he also saw the color stacks on the bed in the guest room, (gotta organize somewhere!)- - - he hasn't ventured back up since! Some of it is also thrift store treasures or old clothes, and trying to decide if they are good enough to donate or would they be better cut up and used for something- like quilts(?) - hmmmmmmmm!
Mary
Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 AM

That might be my summer project in 2011 -- I've seen somewhere (here on on blogs?) with scrappy one-color blocks that are then sashed in white.

I could easily get a queen size quilt with skinny sashings out of my scrap bin.

=)
Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 PM

Well, I don't have enough to call it a stash, but I do 'stash' slot of retired clothes that need to be cut and made into fabric.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Shocked no empty wallet yes.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
Well, I don't have enough to call it a stash, but I do 'stash' slot of retired clothes that need to be cut and made into fabric.
This is what I do in the evenings while "watching tv" with DH. And sometimes during the day if my arms are up to it. Hugs and smiles
Old 11-18-2010, 10:35 PM

Me too...I love to make scrappy quilt tops and tease that there isn't a bit of scrap in it,haha....I keep buying fq to use as my scraps
Old 11-19-2010, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Only 4 or 5 baby quilts? You don't have any fabric!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Just what I was thinking!! :roll: You need to start collecting before the price rise!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I have learned that I bought and acquired far too many busy prints. Before I really got into quilting, I would buy fabric just because I liked it and I usually bought at least two or three metres. They're great for focus fabrics or for a back but I had a serious lack of co-ordinating fabrics. I just didn't realize that those quieter, somewhat boring (to one who loves colour and design!) tone on tones, marbles and almost solids in light, medium and dark were essential fabrics for a quilter. Since I have retired, these are the only fabrics I have purchased. I have not yet really gone through my stash and culled some of these bright and usually medium or dark prints that I have in abundance. That may happen as my small sewing room is very crowded and I am almost to the point of admitting that I have too much fabric. When the lids won't fit on the largest Rubbermaid containers that they make and you have over 20 of these bins, you do have a lot of fabric! Right now, I'm still considering but I think some fabric sharing is in my future.
i have the same problem. really need those blenders and calming fabrics, but they are easy to pass by when you see all the patterns and colors. don't have 20 bins but do have a lot. the other thing i did was to buy too many small pieces. now i try to buy at least 2-3 yards of anything. i love scrappy but sometimes want to make theme type quilts. the smaller pieces are good for bags which have become by second passion (after quilting). good luck with your reduction efforts all.