Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Shocking comment

Blog Entries

Shocking comment

My friend has just made a white quilt for a friend. It has no colour at all. On showing her son, 35ish his comment was" that is is the best quilt you have ever made" this was an amazing shock to her as she makes very colourful quilts. All the ladies in out group like it and the skill at it was done with the 10 minute blocks but disliked no colour.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    i'll bet it's beautiful.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I'm sure it is beautiful. My son (29 years old) would have probably made the same comment so I had to laugh with your post. Young men are so strange.

What my hubby objects to is the different prints together. If it was all white, the prints wouldn't be as noticeable!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Everyone likes something different! At least he complimented it and seemed to appreciate it.
    Heather

My mother, God bless her, is really trying to like quilts because I make them. She just cannot get passed by all the colors and prints. She would probably be mesmerized by your friend's quilt. I still have not made a quilt for my mother. She will love anything I make because it came from me but I also want her to really like the quilt itself. Maybe I will try a one color quilt and see how it goes. Thank you for the idea.

Blog Entries
    Ny DH would have made the same comment. He does not like all the bright colors and patterns of fabric in a quilt. The subtleness of one color is more soothing to many people.

I would think with it being all one color... the design/pattern would stand out. Not a bad thing.

As for the people that didn't care for the quilt... to each their own.

Would love to see a picture of it... I've seen wholecloth quilts, but not a quilt made of just one color.

Power Poster
    I LOVE the antique french white quilts so I would probably love this quilt too. I also love quilts with lots of colour and patterns.

Blog Entries
    Like the saying goes; beauty is in the eye of the beholder. She should accept his compliment and if she makes him a quilt maybe it should be all white because it seems thats what "he" likes. You have to admit; it is different than most any quilt anyone makes so it would be unique and maybe thats why he liked it so much
    Judy

I wouldn't make all white quilt. I think any all one color quilt would be pretty. I like the regular multi colored quilts the best. To each his own.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Maybe it is just his personal favorite quilt that she has made.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

A lot of men don't like the "busy-ness" and abundance of color, pattern etc the way we do! I don't think it was intended to be hurtful at all.I know that sounds sexist but it's the way it is!!!

Quote Originally Posted by katkat1946 View Post
    A lot of men don't like the "busy-ness" and abundance of color, pattern etc the way we do! I don't think it was intended to be hurtful at all.I know that sounds sexist but it's the way it is!!!
    It isn't sexist to acknowledge that frequently there are preferences that are sex linked. The obvious ones are babies and machinery. Women can ooh and aah over a baby sooooo much longer than a man can and honestly enjoy it. Men can discuss the inner workings of cams and pistons without being bored. Not many men get excitied over patterns and colors. Some only want order, limited colors, calm, what represents to them masculine decor. It isn't sexist to admit men and women are made differently on purpose.

Different strokes.....

My niece-in-law is expecting. Her house is no color (tan walls, not white!) Her nursery will be neutral. I was going to do creams/whites/beiges/tans for her baby quilt but maybe the all-white would be cooler!

Blog Entries
    My adult DDs will say why did you pick that fabric? or that fabric looks old ladish, or I wouldn't have used those colors. But when the quilt is finished they are the first ones to say I want that!
    Got fabric?

My daughter doesn't mind the colors of a quilt...she just thinks my quilting detracts from the design of the quilt. Um, but honey, that's what mommy does. I bet the all white quilt is beautiful and would love to see it.

Blog Entries
    Adding info. Using the ten minute blocks and making them into faux cathedral windlow inserts birdie angles and white on white in as ,any ways as possible.

A full time traveler. Currently in Florida
    I would love to see the finished project. Sounds kind of neat. Does anyone have any quilts done with one color?
    Vivian

Blog Entries
    Tashana, try shabby chic or cottage colors for your mother. Soft pinks and blues or corals and tans if that's her preference. As a mother whose tastes are changing, I think that might do it for her. Look at the colors in vivnme's avatar.
    Last edited by irishrose; 10-02-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Tashana, try shabby chic or cottage colors for your mother. Soft pinks and blue or corals and tans if that's her preference As a mother whose tastes are changing, I think that might do it for her. Look at the colors in vivnme's avatar.
    Last edited by irishrose; 10-02-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: double post

Blog Entries
    The more I think about it the more I think that's a really cool idea. I could see doing the all white quilt and then using a colorful bed runner at the end of the bed....the best of both worlds! I'm curious to know where you find quality white fabric. I can find white fabric but, even at a quilt shop it doesn't seem to be as tightly woven as the other fabrics. Is there a particular company that all of you out there use?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vivnme View Post
    I would love to see the finished project. Sounds kind of neat. Does anyone have any quilts done with one color?
    We had to buy (no time or desire to make) an all white one when we sold our home 2 years ago. So got one from the "Shabby Chic" line at Target for about $50 for queen size. It's solid white with lots of quilting on one piece of fabric. We use it in the guest room now and it's a good background for my handmade quilts.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast