Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shoes for LA quilters >

Shoes for LA quilters

Shoes for LA quilters

Old 03-03-2017, 05:24 AM

I second the Dansko's. I don't long arm, but I can put those on in the morning and not even think about taking them off until I go to bed. The footbed, if it works for you - is really good.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:35 AM

I went to a restaurant supply store and bought 12' of 3' wide of anti fatigue mat (they sell it by the lineal foot). With that, it didn't really matter what shoes I wore, until I injured my foot. But that affects me all the time, not just standing at the LA.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:48 AM

I have been standing at my longarm for the last 17 years (LOL) on a carpeted cement floor with no padding under the carpet. I have always worn canvas walking shoes with no problem until about 6 years ago when my hips started giving me problems. My husband went to O'Reilly's Automotive and purchased the heavy duty mat that industrial workers stand on. Purchased by the foot, I have one piece that runs the length of my machine (14 feet). It is probably about 1 inch thick. Does not feel cushiony, but when I step off of it my print is visible for a few seconds. Since I have been standing on it, still wearing canvas walking shoes, I have no hip, leg or back issues. When my husband first purchased this mat, I did not want it as I did not think it looked nice; believe you me, comfort is more important than looks!
Old 03-03-2017, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I recently found the 'copper' socks at sporting goods store---they work! My feet never felt better !
Old 03-03-2017, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

My LA is in an upstairs bedroom on carpeting. Sometimes I quilt in stocking feet but much prefer to have my Merrells. My preferred style is the Jungle Moc. but I also like the slip on Encore.

I had heard great things about the Danskins and invested in a pair. Hated them. My Merrell makes me feel like my foot is encased in a cloud all day.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
http://www.zcoil.com/?gclid=CKeC8_aGudICFca6wAodCwQC-Q
I wore these on cement as I stocked over 2,000 lbs. of stock each week, the last 12 years I worked, in tennis and sandles. Try some on when your feet or legs hurt, you will see the difference.
I wore out 2 pairs of z-coils. I had plantar faciitis and the shoes helped so much! I could actually get through an entire day without having to sit. They are expensive but definitely worth it.

I've found several things help quite a bit, in addition to the shoes. When we replaced the carpeting in one room, the only pad the installer had on his truck was the highest grade available, so he installed that at no extra charge. Holy cow, I can definitely feel the difference between that room and the others! I also use the anti-fatigue foam mats in my kitchen.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I had never heard of the copper socks before! Last year I bought my hubby copper knee braces for his golfing and he raves about them helping his golf game. I just went and ordered a three pack on e bay for his work boots. I appreciate you sharing.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:17 PM

Most of the time as we get older, our feet flatten out. (Are you buying bigger shoes?) The arch is not quite as "archy" as it used to be. That changes the angles af your ankles, knees, hips and lower back. Thus, the pain comes with standing on concrete for long stretches. Cushioning helps. Arch supports can help, too. There's everything from a Dr. Scholls insoles to custom orthotics and everything in between.

That might help.

bkay
Old 03-03-2017, 05:03 PM

Please do consider trying to rotate the shoes you wear. As a runner, I used to buy very expensive running shoes but would still have knee pain once in a while. I talked to someone who had several pairs that they rotated through who said they never had knee issues. I tried and it's worked for years. Every pair of shoe stresses your leg, knee, hip, etc. differently. If you constantly change where it's stressing, you're less likely to have pain or inflammation. Good luck finding the right solution for you.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:06 PM

some excellent advice! I have two knee replacements (with one giving me fits right now), a chronic blood clot in one leg so wear compression hose on it, and plantar fascititis, and wide feet with high arches. SO...I've had to think comfort and support in shoes for the last 30 years instead of just style. they cost a fortune, but Finn is my best go-to brand of shoe. Made in Germany and are very pricey, but last forever. I also like Merrills, Aleggi , New Balance for sneakers. and just got some Earth Designs from Designer Show Wearhouse that I really am liking. All have good arch support or allow me to use my prescription orthatics. But do vary the shoes you wear. A "shoe guy" once told me that you should wear different shoes everyday and throw them out when the soles get worn (or re-sole)