Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shop hops...input please :) >

Shop hops...input please :)

Shop hops...input please :)

Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM

I am doing the one here in Northern CA this weekend. It takes me at least two days because the stores are so spread out, but I guess that is the way most all of them are. My DH goes with me and we use it as an excuse to do an overnight stay out-of-town. I haven't done it in a few years, but it was fun the last time. It helps me get to stores I don't normally go to. Most stores will have flyers when one is coming up. I also get newletters from LQS's and they talk them up in there.
Don't know how far afield it is for you, Sewnomo, but you can check it out on the website....quiltrush.org.....and see where the shops are. They range from Chico to Stockton and Grass Valley to Fairfield.
I thought I saw a flyer for a shop hop once when I went to a shop in Napa. Closer stores for you I am sure!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:42 AM

Our quilt guild has had several quilt shop hops over the years - one day, 5 stores maximum. We have a schedule, which makes it easier for the stores we visit, knowing when we'll be arriving. The best was one which was organized so that each store we visited had a 10 to 15 minute demo on a cool technique (some needed a special template, ruler or tool, but most did not). Half shopped while the other half of the group saw the demo - made it easier on the staff.

My friends organized a birthday shop hop for me which was an over-nighter on the beach; every person's interests were accommodated - including a stop at a very cool museum - and we had a terrific dinner at a Greek restaurant. OFF THE CHARTS FUN. Lots of laughing (and snickering), wonderful Show & Tell each evening.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM

I just did one in Holmes county , Ohio. It was a mini-shop hop with only 5 stores within about 15 min of each other. Went with a friend , did not win prizes, but had fun. Did not spend too much money! What was diffferent about this hop was that you got a fabric material list from the 1st shop and then a recipe at each shop. At 3:00pm there was the drawing AND you got a plate of food that was made from all the recipies. And you got the instructions for the wallhanging. Really liked the food.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 PM

I just did one this past weekend. We had time limitations....could go only one day and from 9-2. The first shop we went to had everything on sale at 20% off. That was great! The next two stores didn't have anything on sale. I think if stores are going to do a shop hop, they should have things on sale to bring in more customers. The suggestion someone made about refreshments is a good idea.

This is just a side note. One of shops had two dogs in it. My friend I was with is terrified of dogs. If it's a day where a larger number of people are expected keeping pets away might be a good idea.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:13 PM

I like refreshments and also seeing a quilt done in different colour ways.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:38 PM

Thanks for all your replies and input....it has given me ideas for next year

Christine