Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping on a budget >

Shopping on a budget

Shopping on a budget

Old 08-30-2020, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I watch for sales on all the online shops. Quilt in a Day has great sale fabric. Connecting Threads clearance section usually has pretty fabric. Some shops have outrageous shipping charges so be careful of that when you see a good sale. I won't pay over regular shipping cost. I like Missouri Star because the shipping is a flat $5. Even if the fabric is not the lowest price the shipping makes up for it in most cases.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:38 AM

Just want to say that most places are pretty depleted in stock right now and especially for sale goods -- I've watched my regular sites go almost empty compared to a year ago. A lot of people were at home buying fabric. Not a lot of fabric was coming in, nor was there staff to deal with what was, nor was it known what precautions those that were dealing with the fabric needed/or whether businesses were "essential".

I have a large stash accumulated over decades. I stopped buying "new" fabric for the most part a number of years ago, and now I check out my local thrift stores on a regular basis to see what might interest me. They were shut down since March in my area and just opened up again a month ago. It's part of the hubby and my date day is we check out a couple of thrift stores, we have specific things we look for. Anyway, for the first time since about February, I lucked into some fabric, a nice 4-yard or so of a soft brushy peach tone suitable for a back for $3.99, another 4-yard good for a back (blue with quarter sized yellow floral medallions) for another $3.99, and a 3 yard piece of patriotic Debbie Mumm that I'll be passing on for a children's/potenital quilt of valor back for $2.99, plus a bunch of other non fabric, for about $25.

On the other hand, I ordered my first new, not-on-sale fabric, two different (1) yard cuts for about the same price and I don't know when it's going to get here --- but I know it is exactly what I want (or at least I hope)

Fabric is expensive, but for years it was my only vice and now it is a thrift store hobby pursuit, gives me something to do. I didn't spend my money on other things, but if a fabric made me laugh or just made me want to touch it, it was worth yard... It's nice for me to have the luxury of "too much" even if I have to work for ideas on how to use it.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:10 AM

I like 35th Avenue and Northern in Phoenix. They have expensive fabrics but have great sales sometimes. They just had a fantastic buy on Civil War fabrics (which is one of my favorite fabrics). It only was for 2 days but they have great buys. The CW fabric was $6 to $8 a yard. I was just in their store a couple of days ago and they had Halloween and Christmas fabrics for 40% off. Some of their fabrics were $13 a yard and I feel that is very expensive.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:32 AM

eQuilter and Quilt Fabric Closeout also are good--not super cheap on some things though. If you are looking for batiks on sale check out Fabric Fanatics.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

https://www.denverfabrics.com/c97948...-cotton-prints and connecting threads are inexpensive places I use. Sometimes elenore burns site has closeout fabrics at a great price.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:53 PM

QuiltedTwins have become my go to online store for fabric. Most of their fabric runs at 5.99 a yard and they ship extremely fast!
Old 08-30-2020, 05:09 PM

Make friends with someone in Maine and ask them to go to Mardens!
Old 08-31-2020, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Thousands of Bolts. Disclaimer: I have never bought from them. https://www.thousandsofbolts.com/ind...iceType=Tablet
I have bought from them and I think their fabric is nice for the price. I have found it is a bit stiffer than more expensive fabrics, but it is better than Walmart.