Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping list for a new quilter >

Shopping list for a new quilter

Shopping list for a new quilter

Old 04-08-2010, 06:49 AM

dumb question here. what is a seam gauge. :oops: Penny[/quote]

Not a dumb question. Here is previously posted picture of one. Very handy at times.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-48993.jpe  
Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 AM

An approx 12" section of the empty roll from either paper towel, or wrapping paper, I use the most sturdy roll I can find. Then I thread a 1" piece of fabric, long enough to go through it and then tie it together and wrap it around your neck (you have to play with this to find the most comfortable length). Then, once I have pressed my binding in half, I carefully wrap in around this tube and then put it around my neck and it feeds from the tube as you sew the binding onto your quilt, keeping it from getting wrinkled or twisted or falling to the floor.
As with everything else quilting related, it takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it. It is very easy. Sometimes, I make my bindings ahead of time (on a good day) and they stay on the tube, hung on a hanger, until I am ready to use them, without getting beat up.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 AM

Your writing/spelling is fine. I admire your tenacity and stick-to-itiveness to learn. I didn't have much of an education, but after I married I decided to go to school to learn basics, then on to high school and finally have an Associates degree from college. I also admire you for buying the best you can afford. It is great that your hubby is supporting you in buying, even if it is a bit at a time. It gives you time to plan what you want to get next.

Originally Posted by penny doty
she will need fabric pens, and if she is going to do any kind of applque, she will need fabric glue,fussibale web, and I have seen elmers school glue used for tempary hold. Once a month my hubby lets me get one thing with a coupon from Joann's, Monday I was able to get a small pair of scissors that were $5.98 and I had a 50% coupon. last month I got the fabric heat seat glue with coupon, granted the scissors were not friskers or gingers but they were what we could afford. so sorry for the spelling, I sat back and read for many months, because I could not spell, but I really like talking to all of you. Penny
Old 04-08-2010, 08:22 AM

The blue bar ( at the top of this one) slides, so once you set it, you can keep your place while measuring your seam or hem or what ever.

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
dumb question here. what is a seam gauge. :oops: Penny
Not a dumb question. Here is previously posted picture of one. Very handy at times.[/quote]
Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned

thank you, I don't have one of those, it will go on my list :oops: Penny
Old 04-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BARES
Your writing/spelling is fine. I admire your tenacity and stick-to-itiveness to learn. I didn't have much of an education, but after I married I decided to go to school to learn basics, then on to high school and finally have an Associates degree from college. I also admire you for buying the best you can afford. It is great that your hubby is supporting you in buying, even if it is a bit at a time. It gives you time to plan what you want to get next.

she will need fabric pens, and if she is going to do any kind of applque, she will need fabric glue,fussibale web, and I have seen elmers school glue used for tempary hold. Once a month my hubby lets me get one thing with a coupon from Joann's, Monday I was able to get a small pair of scissors that were $5.98 and I had a 50% coupon. last month I got the fabric heat seat glue with coupon, granted the scissors were not friskers or gingers but they were what we could afford. so sorry for the spelling, I sat back and read for many months, because I could not spell, but I really like talking to all of you. Penny
thank you for that, when I was in dental assistant school I would have to come home and type my miss spell words fifty times each, I had 3 children working full time and gone to school full time, and the teacher thought I had time to type 90 thousand miss spelled words 50 times each. she finley gave up when she relized there is somethings I can't learn. Penny :oops:
Old 04-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BARES

thank you for that, when I was in dental assistant school I would have to come home and type my miss spell words fifty times each, I had 3 children working full time and gone to school full time, and the teacher thought I had time to type 90 thousand miss spelled words 50 times each. she finley gave up when she relized there is somethings I can't learn. Penny :oops:
Old 04-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Did anyone mention a seam ripper? Not that she will EVER use one but...........
Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 PM

I made up a list last month for a class I was teaching. Lets see how it loaded.
Well that did not work, lets see if I can copy and paste
BASIC QUILTING SUPPLIES

Your basic sewing kit plus;
Cutting mat ~ mid size 18 x 24
Rotary cutter 45mm
Extra blade(s)
Quilting rulers made for use with rotary cutting. Stay with ONE manufacturer
Basic rulers to start; rectangles 6 x 12; 8.5 x 24; squares; 6.5 x 6.5; 12.5 x 12.5
As you progress with quilting you will want to add other size rulers as needed.
Cotton piecing thread in neutral colors, no need to match color
Basting safety pins
Flannel backed tablecloth to layout out your blocks

*Optional
Zip lock bags, misc sizes (sandwich,1 and 2 gallon) good for storing project and pattern together, pieces cut for blocks
Quilting tape measure (approx 108” long vs. 36”)

A good reference book is a must; I highly recommend
The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide; A Rodale Quilt Book by Editor Ellen Pahl
A good beginner’s book with patterns; Start Quilting by Alex Anderson

GENERAL SEWING SUPPLIES

Machine needles (always have an extra package on hand)
General sewing thread, beige, or tan, white, light and dark grey, and black are good basic neutrals to start with.
Machine oil, small brushes (paint or makeup brushes), I also have tweezers.
Seam ripper (or two, I always misplace mine)
Screw driver, short handle to fit your machine if it did not come with one.
A GOOD pair of 8inch dressmaker’s scissors, and small pair for cutting threads (or thread snips)
A cheap pair of scissors for cutting paper and misc. items.
Package of bobbins (specific to your machine)
Pins and pin cushion (I like long thin glass head pins), glass head pins are the only ones that you can iron over.
Tape measure
Optional items you might find in my sewing kit or within reach (I use a pencil box)
Marking pen/pens; chalk pencil, disappearing blue marker, charo liner
6 inch ruler (not a quilting ruler)
Safety pins
Hand sewing needles in various sizes
Band aids
Fabric Glue stick
Post it notes
Small note pad and pen/pencil (mechanical)
Sharpie marker-Extra fine
Highlighter
Scotch tape
Thimble

Sorry it is so long :-)
Old 04-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Sign up for mailing lists to get coupons for discounts. We all know even starting out it takes a bit of cash and every penny saved can be used for more goodies.