Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Short arm quilting??? >

Short arm quilting???

Short arm quilting???

Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM

I REGRET PURCHASING THE GRACIE QUEEN QUILT FRAME!!! It took MONTHS to set it up, the joint between the crib and queen size made the carriage fall of the tracks. When I contacted the company, they acted as though it had never happened before but after talking to other people, it happens all the time!! I had to get my Dad, a master carpenter, to fix the problem. My first choice was a steel frame but they wouldn't ship to Canada. Kathy Quilts recommended this wooden frame for my basement! I told them it would be in my basement!!! SERIOUS BUYER'S REMORSE! ANYONE WANT TO BUY THIS FRAME FROM ME??
Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 PM

I have a New Joy Gold Standard frame with a Janome 1600p and stitch regulater/ I'm quilted several quilts on it. As others have mentioned, you don't have much room, but it can be done. for me, it is much easier that sandwiching the quilt and pushing, pulling it through the same amount of space.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM

Those of you with short arm machines on frames, how essential do you think it is to have the Sure-stitch or Grace stitch regulator, especially when getting started? I have a frame, but no machine for it yet. I know some people say to get as big a machine as you can, but I really want to get good at this and I've also heard that the stitch regulator can be very helpful. A nine inch machine with stitch regulator is comparable in price to a 13 inch Bailey without a stitch regulator. What do you think?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
Those of you with short arm machines on frames, how essential do you think it is to have the Sure-stitch or Grace stitch regulator, especially when getting started? I have a frame, but no machine for it yet. I know some people say to get as big a machine as you can, but I really want to get good at this and I've also heard that the stitch regulator can be very helpful. A nine inch machine with stitch regulator is comparable in price to a 13 inch Bailey without a stitch regulator. What do you think?
I would go for the longer arm and see if you can get a speed adjuster. I started my freemotion journey with a 9 inch arm. As you quilt, the take up roller takes more and more of your quilting area. Pretty soon you have about 3-4 inches a pass. See if you can find a Bailey user group on Yahoo or Google. They will be able to tell you what works. You might find one used on there with all the bells and whistles you were eyeing. I never regretted that 1st set up tho, it taught me that yes, i AM a freemotion quilter and yes, I CAN do it to my satifaction. I like my stitch regulator, but after quilting awhile and finding my comfortable speed and rhythm, I don't HAVE to have it.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:50 AM

I have the Baby Lock Jane with a stitch regulator on my frame. My frame has very large rods so that takes up even more room. So it just sits taking up room in my sewing room until I can afford a long arm machine.
Do love the stitch regulator though.
Attached Thumbnails table-jane.jpg  

Last edited by Rose Marie; 02-16-2013 at 05:52 AM.