Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy an accuquilt go? >

Should I buy an accuquilt go?

Should I buy an accuquilt go?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 PM

I had trouble turning the go ... so I said No.

I do use my Alto's QuiltCut2 a lot. It has more flexibility and less wastage. and ... no turning.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM

I purchased my GO a few months ago and I admit, I haven't been able to use it for life's events kept coming up. Well, the cost of the dies was a deterrent, but I decided to focus on the strip dies and only get the ones I tend to use alot (2 1/2 and 1 1/2) I can cut strips or squares or diamonds. I was interested in this for I can't cut (nor draw and probably not walk in a) straight line to save my soul . I am hoping to cut down on wonky shaped cuts .

Anyway, my suggestion regarding the dies- think of the ones you will use alot and could produce multiple shapes.and purchase them as you need them- no need to start of library then use them. KWIM?
As for the cranking issue- I have not tried mine yet, but don't put alot of fabric on it. Yes, they say you can put 4-5 layers (I think) but 1-2 layers may be better/easier for you. My dh says when I quilt - he feels like he's divorced (he prefers to watch TV and our house space does not permit us to do our hobbies in the same room) so perhaps I will ask him to crank the strips out....
Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 PM

I would also not be without...but don't go buying every die...think of which ones you will really use...I have all of the starter block sets and really do not use them...I use the tumblers, drunkard path. can't wait to try the windy ways...I just got it...and also the double wedding ring.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM

I have the Go & it came with a starter die. I also bought the 6 1/2" Tumbler die. I don't use it as much as I thought that I would. I do want to get the 2 1/2" strip die, but the dies are so expensive and I'd also need to get a larger mat.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 PM

All of your replies are just great and has helped me. I am going to talk to my Physical therapist and in the mean time maybe lay off the cutting and see if I can improve. I guess I could go back to cutting other items like aprons and purses and pot holders. These would be using my left hand and shoulder. This board is just great and thanks so much for the input.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by callie8799 View Post
I purchased my GO a few months ago and I admit, I haven't been able to use it for life's events kept coming up. Well, the cost of the dies was a deterrent, but I decided to focus on the strip dies and only get the ones I tend to use alot (2 1/2 and 1 1/2) I can cut strips or squares or diamonds. I was interested in this for I can't cut (nor draw and probably not walk in a) straight line to save my soul . I am hoping to cut down on wonky shaped cuts .

Anyway, my suggestion regarding the dies- think of the ones you will use alot and could produce multiple shapes.and purchase them as you need them- no need to start of library then use them. KWIM?
As for the cranking issue- I have not tried mine yet, but don't put alot of fabric on it. Yes, they say you can put 4-5 layers (I think) but 1-2 layers may be better/easier for you. My dh says when I quilt - he feels like he's divorced (he prefers to watch TV and our house space does not permit us to do our hobbies in the same room) so perhaps I will ask him to crank the strips out....
I had to smile at your last sentences about your dh...About 3 years ago when our son graduated college and bought his house, dh and I "gifted" the pool table, ping pong table and electric dart board we had in our den/game room to him...(We added on to our house 12 years back for my Mom to move in with us, one of the areas is a big den on one half, and a game room on the other side) Anyways, dh said, hmmm..now game room will be a large enough area for you to put your cutting tables and sewing machines won't it? I said, yes but if you are trying to watch tv and I am sewing you probably won't be able to hear the tv very well. He said, oh it'll be fine, and also that way you can watch the tv while you are working over there if you want to. Plus dh works full time and on his days off he spends a lot of time in his workshop or puttering about our acreage, so he's not inside much..I did tell him that he is much nicer than I am, because if I was watching a show and he was over there running a saw or something and I couldn't hear my show I would probably say, "Hey, shush it dude, I can't hear this quilting show!"..lol... I will say the only down side is that no matter how much I try and keep it neat, a sewing/quilting room is just that...I have projects I am working on, etc...so to me it always looks messy...and when anyone comes over instead of staying in the front living room we come back here...oh well, it is what it is, eh?
Kif
PS the few times I have used my Go! I put 4 or less fabric layers, and it cranked it out just fine...I know it says can do up to 6 layers, but I won't ever do that many...
Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 PM

Have hand, wrist, arm,shoulder problems (depends upon the day!). Went to try a Go. No way would that cranking help. And then discovered the prices of dies, mats,etc.

Found a cutter (Martellie) that lets you grasp it on the cutter head and that helps with the shoulder and arm problems. On bad days I just go owie, owie, owie as I go down the strip!