Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I just give up?

I am part of a Block of the Month group at my local quilt shop. I've been quilting for about 2 years and haven't really accomplished much, but I wanted to join this BOM to learn more about quilting and to end up with a beautiful quilt for my bed. Bad move.
    The owner of the shop is a wonderful lady who is patient and helpful and the other ladies in the group are equally helpful. No -problem there. The problem is me and my lack of self-confidence and skill. These ladies are good....really good. They are doing this quilt as either an investment (it was costly) or as an entry in shows. I am totally intimidated by their abilities and have ripped out all my blocks I've done so far.
    My question is this, should I just give up and chalk it up to an expensive lesson in "look before you quilt"? I really don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.

dont be hard on your self it does not have to be perfect we all started some where. it will be fun to look back at your first quilt and you will marvel at how far you have come.

Blog Entries
    One block at a time is the way that I have taught. Don't look at all of the blocks and get overwhelmed. Can you show us one block at a time? I am sure that people can give you a lot of help in order to be able to make the quilt. I would be glad to have you pm me and if I can help, I would love to.

Keep going... you've got the stuff and you need practice (don't we all?)

Use it as a "sampler" like they did for Victorian Ladies when they were learning to do handwork...

some day, you'll look at it and smile as how far you've come

Go for it ... this group will root for you all the way

Never give up! and...dont be so hard on yourself. Maybe you can talk to the instructor, she may be able to help you. Most groups understand not everyone is at the same level. Have fun!

Don't quit before you try! You can do it. No ones wants you to be perfect, just the best that you can be.

Definitely stay in! It's comforting to be with others of your own level, but in the long run you'll learn heaps more with people who have more knowledge than you, and are willing to share it with you.

It isn't a competition - relax! Everyone there - like here - is in it for the joy, and finds joy in watching others learn as they learned.

And yeah, you can totally catch up outside of class with the help of kind, talented people like Sadiemae! (I'd offer my help, too, but I'm pretty much where you are...so call on me when you want to commiserate ;))

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MissBarkey
    I wanted to join this BOM to learn more about quilting and to end up with a beautiful quilt for my bed.
    These are the key words. You have to remember that all you wanted to do is a) learn more about quilting and 2) to have a beautiful quilt for yourself.

You can do still accomplish both of these things, if you refrain from comparing yourself & your quilt to the others. If they have more experience, it stands to reason that their quilting would show that experience. However, just think of the experience you will have by the time your beautiful quilt is finished and on your bed! Not theirs - Yours! Hang in there & do this for yourself and no one else!

Oh, this has made me nervious and excited I have signed up for a BOM class inwhich you could end up with a quilt for $5, if you pass inspection of each block. I have just started quilting, a perfectionist thinker, and am a shy person so... I hope it gets better for you. and I hope you find the joy of the class.

Do it the best you can. Don't worry about someone else's best. That has nothing
    to do with your best. Then finish your quilt and put it on your bed and love it!'

You can get help here if you need it!

We are all at different levels. Continue please!

Don't give up. It's about fun, not about being perfect! Think how it will be when you look back at this project, years from now, and see how far you've grown.

Never give up. Just keep practicing, take your time and you'll soon be mastering the craft.

Please don't give up, and don't expect perfection of yourself.
    Everything has a learning curve and the women in the group did not start out so accomplished, they had to learn also.
    Just take a breath, enjoy the process and learn at your own pace. After a quilt or two you will see your progress and be impressed with yourself! Most importantly, Have Fun!!

You have said the shop owner and the others in the group are nice and helpful so continue-how lucky to have a nice group. Do the best you can and learn as you go. Sure you are more likely to have imperfections than the more experienced in your group but one day you will have the opportunity to be the more experienced one and get the chance to help someone else. So, when you are all finished, bring in a box of chocolates to share as a thank you for all the help and encouragement you have received. Looking forward to seeing your progress posted here.

Never ever give up on something you really want to do. We have all been where you are. There is only one you in this world and no one should make you feel intimidated. Just try to stay focused and work at your own pace. There will always be others that know more and are more experienced. Any quilt you create will be your own work of art :!:

Blog Entries
    I agree, don't give up. This sounds like the perfect environment for you to grow and learn. Remember, none of the people in the class were born knowing what they know now! Someday in the not too distant future YOU will be the one that a newbie looks at in awe! Can't happen if you don't try. It shouldn't be perfect, just the best you can do at this time. Less ripping and more acceptance.

The problem is me and my lack of self-confidence and skill. These ladies are good....really good. They are doing this quilt as either an investment (it was costly) or as an entry in shows. I am totally intimidated by their abilities and have ripped out all my blocks I've done so far..
    Your post shows you know what the problem is and it sounds like not only are you looking to vent but you are looking for vindication that it is ok to quit and chalk it up as an expensive learning experience.

Nope - no way. You need to quit being so hyper critical of your self and stop comparing your work to the ladies who are making this BOM as a show entry. That is like thinking you can study under Micahelangelo and be able to produce like he does after just a few lessons!

You must continue, for the reasons you cited, to learn something and make a beautiful quilt for your bed. And ya know what, it is ok if a seam doesn't line up or a point gets cut off or an applique's curve isn't as smooth as the template. This quilt is for YOU and sometimes good enough is just that - Good Enough! Cut yourself a little slack, give yourself permission to have a less then perfect quilt. Seek advice and tutoring from the shop owners and ladies, but do not compare your work to theirs. So what if it isn't as good, it doesn't matter. Maybe give jack the ripper a day off or two and let that block go as is. In the end you will be much happier with yourself and your quilt and your self confidence will soar.

Banned
    Suggest you: Look at the block and find what you are dissatisfied with. Write those things down.
    Then go back and find out how you can improve. If it seams not consistent, then find a way to make them more consistent. If they don't match up, then check each step up to that point. I took a class last year that the teacher said to measure each unit when finished before you sew the next. Know what is wrong and fix it.
    Don't consider it one week of experience 12 times but a progression of learning each time to improve.

I think I would welcome being part of a group that would offer that much help, especially if everyone is friendly and encouraging. I wouldn't try to compare my work to a pro's, but would just try to do my best!

Blog Entries
    My question is this, should I just give up
    NO! Why are you comparing yourself to what others can do? My friend has a beautiful voice and sings in a choir. I sound more like a coyote howling at the moon. BUT I still like music, and I still belt it out in the shower.

The nice thing about a BOM is that YOU do the work for YOURSELF. You don't have to swap or even share if you don't want to. The other nice thing about a BOM is that they usually build skills and you can learn new techniques and improve.

Why would you deprive yourself of that learning tool?

For every quilter at every level on this QB (or in "real quity world) there is a quilter who knows less or is yet untried in many techniques/methods. When you talk of giving up, what message are you sending to the newbies?

SO NO! I bet your work is really good and you are just being your own worst quilt police.

Don't quit! And don't be embarrassed to ask for help! Most quilters I've ever met love helping newbies. Everybody was new to quilting at some point, and the best thing about quilting is, the more you do it, the better you get.

Junior Member Miss Purple Shoes's Avatar
    Please don't give up. If the ladies are genuinely nice they will want to support you as much as they can. Don't forget that they were once where you are now and they will want to share their expertise with you. Bite the bullet and continue to enjoy the friendship and support that is on offer. I would love to be with a bunch of supportive ladies now but as we aer miles away from a decent LQS I can't.

Junior Member Miss Purple Shoes's Avatar
    :)

Please don't give up - you will be proud of yourself when you have completed the quilt and just bear in mind that those other ladies all started just like you atsome point and probably had the same doubts - they sound like a nice group of ladies so make the most of there knowledge and don't forget there are alot of people on here who are more than willing to give advise if you get really stuck

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast