Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by MissBarkey
I am part of a Block of the Month group at my local quilt shop. I've been quilting for about 2 years and haven't really accomplished much, but I wanted to join this BOM to learn more about quilting and to end up with a beautiful quilt for my bed. Bad move.
The owner of the shop is a wonderful lady who is patient and helpful and the other ladies in the group are equally helpful. No -problem there. The problem is me and my lack of self-confidence and skill. These ladies are good....really good. They are doing this quilt as either an investment (it was costly) or as an entry in shows. I am totally intimidated by their abilities and have ripped out all my blocks I've done so far.
My question is this, should I just give up and chalk it up to an expensive lesson in "look before you quilt"? I really don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.
======================================
Okay. I basically did the same thing and it was a chance for me to learn to laugh at myself. My blocks were wiggly. My color choices were so bland. My perspective was all off. I began coming in to the class each time with a smile and a "Wanna' see what I did THIS time?" The ladies, very tough at first, started to smile and really help me! I didn't try to do each block as they did. I took my time trrying to get one done the best way I could. I cut up the blocks to just find a piece that would stay flat!!!! I used the flat squares to make a small lap quilt that I CHERISH. It isn't straight. It isn't a prize but it is mine. I love to see how far I have come in so many ways. I did get smarter and I even began a beginner's course because no one wanted to do it and now, we are about twenty relative newbies, all together in a loving class where we all learn together. We take courses and teach each other the new lessons. Be kind to yourself. Use laughter to soften other people and love whatever you do. Hugs to you and have fun.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:12 AM

I also did the same thing it helped me to learn different techniques and my confidence started to build. I've been doing them for five years some are beautiful some I hide but all I have learned from.