Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:56 AM

I would not just chuck it......... put it aside for awhile.
Start with something simple - a small project you can get done and see your progress maybe start with a wall hanging or table topper.... work your way up to a big quilt... this will help build confidence and skills. In time you will be able to finnish your block of the month quilt.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 AM

keep on keeping on....you will be glad when you finally finish because you DID NOT QUIT.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM

I don't think you should give up. You had the desire to learn, so that means you probably can become a good, if not great quilter. I started out with a place mat size quilt. I had no idea what I was doing, but I had fun. Then I did a baby quilt with big blocks. Since then I have tried a large bed size quilt but with a lot of problems. So, I put it away for a while. Since then I learned what I was doing wrong, and I'm ready to finish it. Now I'm back to quilting a place mat again with a bit more complicated pattern. We all learn in different ways, but start small and continue even if you make mistakes. As my sis told me once, "Do you see any quilt police around here?" "of course not, so continue and you'll do great." Good luck.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 PM

Good for you.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by MissBarkey
I am part of a Block of the Month group at my local quilt shop. I've been quilting for about 2 years and haven't really accomplished much, but I wanted to join this BOM to learn more about quilting and to end up with a beautiful quilt for my bed. Bad move.
The owner of the shop is a wonderful lady who is patient and helpful and the other ladies in the group are equally helpful. No -problem there. The problem is me and my lack of self-confidence and skill. These ladies are good....really good. They are doing this quilt as either an investment (it was costly) or as an entry in shows. I am totally intimidated by their abilities and have ripped out all my blocks I've done so far.
My question is this, should I just give up and chalk it up to an expensive lesson in "look before you quilt"? I really don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.
You should have seen some of the BOM that I got back from other less qualified quilters-- they were bad. But that was 10 years ago---now they and myself included have improved a lot and thinking back I would wonder were we really that bad--answer is YES!! So please continue with it and you will learn as you go. Just take it carefully and you will be happy with what you have done as it is the first BOM you made. Just keep trying your best.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:05 AM

Definitely "don't give up". You have a great opportunity here to learn even if you feel you're not good enough. Not true. We have all been "beginners" and felt the same way. Just go at your speed, don't be afraid to ask questions and MOST IMPORTANTLY..... Enjoy the process.

You'll be fine and come out in the with knowledge and more self confidence. Quilter's don't judge !!!!!!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Oh please don't give up!! I would revel in being part of a group of seasoned quilters! You are so fortunate to have such wonderful talent surrounding you! Think of how much you can learn from this group! Like everyone else has said, take it one step at a time. And... don't be so hard on yourself. I am a perfectionist who is learning to reform... I still want things totally perfect but I am learning to look at my work objectively and see what I consider a tiny flaw 99% of the people would never even notice.
I say go for it... and be thrilled you are a part of such a wonderfully talented group! You too will be one of them! :-D
Old 02-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Gal

Gosh , don't be so hard on yourself, we all have to start some where, you cannot run before you can walk, join a group that has all skill levels in it and stop judging yourself with the best of the best! I began to hand piece last night for the first time in many years and boy am I rusty, my stitches are no where as good as I could have done a few years back, am I unpicking, no way, it is all staying in! The more you practice the better you will get, start with small projects until you get the hang of it. Please do not give up, if you keep at it you will improve I promise you, it sounds to me that you are judging yourself next to these ladies in stead of looking to see how far you have developed as a quilter yourself.
Keep at it!!!!
Best of luck
Gal
Old 02-12-2011, 03:22 PM

Never, ever give up. Maybe you can hook up with someone in the class for help - or coffee, etc.

Do it one stitch at a time, then 1 block at a time - slow and stead wins the race.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 PM

Wow! You sound very much like me.
I would say I've began about 8 different quilts.
I have NEVER finished one. When I come pretty
close to finishing the top . . . I stop and move
on to something else. I have NEVER completed one.
I think I will not like the end product.
Maybe having a quilt buddy . . . might help. But
the few that I know are fantastic quilters.
I love this group. I can think and see every one
elses quilts. I love it.