Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I make it "POP" ???

Should I make it "POP" ???

I am working on a wedding quilt consisting of sage green/white/gray. The mother of the bride told me her daughter prefers pastels and these specifically (a surprise quilt). I am NOT a pastel person, the brighter the better for my own taste. Soooo although I am including light, medium and dark sages and grays, do I need a bit of another color to make the whole thing "pop", or am I overthinking this as I find pastels blah? LOL Thx for your input.

I definitely wouldn't. Trust the mother on this, especially if the bride is not a close friend of yours. You're not making it for yourself, after all, and if the bride decideds she wants 'pop' later on, she can toss on some pillows or a throw at the foot of the bed. Leave the wedding quilt calm and sophisticated, the newlyweds will surely add their own 'pop'. *wink*
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    You could ask the bride or her mother for the info.
    The mother did say that her daughter PREFERRED pastels so ,if you can't find out any other way, I would add GLIMPSES of a 'pop' color.That's my opinion.

The quilt sounds wonderful. I'm not a pastel person when making quilts but sage and gray are a great combo that I admire in other people's quilts. Don't forget to post a pic of it when finished.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Power Poster
    No, I wouldn't make it pop. If it looks a bland to you, it should be perfect for the recipient.

Blog Entries
    Make a bed runner with a pop or a pillow case to go with quilt
    Finished is better than a UFO

I do not believe I would, Mom said pastels so I figure soft it would have to be!

Blog Entries
    I would stay with the pastel look too. I made a baby quilt of pastels and ended up loving it myself.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Are you making it as a gift from yourself or is the mother paying you to do it? If the mother is paying and/or asked you to do the quilt, it isn't yours to add design elements to. If it is a gift to the bride from you and you only got input from the mother then make a pieced backing and add your 'POP' of color there.

Blog Entries
    i would leave out the pop
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Not everyone wants POP. Some decors seem designed to be very subtle with little color variation.

However, perhaps you could contact the mother of the bride and have some swatches to show her that might add some spark to the quilt and ask her opinion.

It it is not meant to be a surprise, perhaps ask the mother AND the bride?
    Last edited by bearisgray; 07-13-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Leaving it pastels will allow her to change her room decor more easily over the years. I do the idea posted above of making pillow cases or an accent piece with pop.

A tiny amount of a subdued "pop" might make it more "you" without changing the overall theme.
    LinRupp - AZ, USA

what do you want to POP? the color you add or the pastels that are already there. To me, making something POP means that you are bringing out the value/presence of what is already there so, with the right medium to dark, the pastels will really pop, which should please the recipient in this case. I'd just be careful in selecting the med/dk fabric carefully...and a little goes a long way. How about a narrow flange around blocks or around the quilt - only about 1/8 inch visible? this would highlight the pastels by giving them a very small amount of contrast to be compared to.
    Kate

Do you want the quilt to be used by the bride and groom or do you want it to end up as a dog bed, at the local thrift store or as a bargain at the happy couples first garage sale? If it is the latter, then by all means add the pop.

Quote Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
    what do you want to POP? the color you add or the pastels that are already there. To me, making something POP means that you are bringing out the value/presence of what is already there so, with the right medium to dark, the pastels will really pop, which should please the recipient in this case. I'd just be careful in selecting the med/dk fabric carefully...and a little goes a long way. How about a narrow flange around blocks or around the quilt - only about 1/8 inch visible? this would highlight the pastels by giving them a very small amount of contrast to be compared to.
    I agree with this suggestion. I usually do a narrow border or make the binding of the same/similar fabric I want to 'pull' from the top vs. making it 'pop'. Usually a less-used/prominent color from the top just so you can 'see' it a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
    I am working on a wedding quilt consisting of sage green/white/gray. The mother of the bride told me her daughter prefers pastels and these specifically (a surprise quilt). I am NOT a pastel person, the brighter the better for my own taste. Soooo although I am including light, medium and dark sages and grays, do I need a bit of another color to make the whole thing "pop", or am I overthinking this as I find pastels blah? LOL Thx for your input.
    That will be a very sophisticated and elegant combination. Adding any thing to make it POP will really take away from that combination.

I agree with feline fanatic, if you want them to love it just stick with their preferred color combo or it's likely to end up a dog bed or in a garage sale.

I would not add the "pop" .. if pastels is the palette leave it at that.

How about a compromise? Include a note with the quilt in which you offer to applique something in a complementary color of her choice on the center and/or border of the quilt if she chooses, with an expiration date so you're not fretting over it come Christmas. That lets the bride decide if she wants that added pop or not instead of chancing that it won't be used because it's "missing something".

Since she said pastels, I'd use the light and med, leave out the dark. Then another color of say pale peach pastel would add another color and maintain the pastel. MOB said white which you didn't say you were using. I'd use that rather than dark.

Yes, I am using as much white as the gray/green combined. The wedding is in October.

Is this quilt from you or did the MOB commission it? It's a key point that hasn't been mentioned yet...or that I missed?

If it's from you, you must know the bride pretty well in order to make such an elaborate wedding gift. And if you know her well (better by far if you know them both well), you may have a little leeway on any added colors. Still, it's very risky to add spice to a 'pastel lover's' wedding quilt.

If it's from the mother, there's no question that you should not be adding colors to those selected.

The bride is my husband's niece. The quilt will measure 64X64, not bed-sized, from me and my husband.

I would not bring in another "pop" color, but I Agee that you could make a couple of pillows with the "pop" color in them.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    No pop. . . the mother of the bride told you what her daughter's favorite colors are. I'd go with that and welcome the challenge.
    “Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."
    Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
    The bride is my husband's niece. The quilt will measure 64X64, not bed-sized, from me and my husband.
    Ah, so the bride's mother is your SIL and the quilt is a throw size, not a formal 'marriage quilt' affair. I certainly think that gives you more freedom to put more of yourself into it, but I'd probably still err on the conservative side just to be safe. I'm sure you'll do just fine whatever you decide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast