Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I be overly concerned? >

Should I be overly concerned?

Should I be overly concerned?

Old 11-13-2013, 01:24 PM

Oh the lessons we learn the hard way! I'll be sitting at my machine this evening correcting my boo-boo's! Thanks ladies for all your advice.....you're the BEST!
Old 11-13-2013, 02:01 PM

I would re press also.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:30 PM

I did this same thing on the very 1st quilt I ever made by machine...actually 1st quilt I had made since learning basic hand applique as a young girl from my grandma in the early 1970's. The quilt is Schoolhouse series "Skill a Month", where each month you learn a new quilting technique. Boy was I "in for it"...LOL.
In addition to pressing the seams in the right directions to have them lay flat/interlock, I also didn't know that the "regular" foot that comes with a machine was not the same thing as the quilting foot..so my blocks were all coming out a tad too small. Finally I measured the foot I was using, and then researched more to find the size of a quilting foot..it also being called a quarter inch foot should've been a clue. ... Between that and my not pressing the blocks that taught half-square triangles and flying geese units the correct way to interlock the seams, made this a FUN quilt to make...Since I was basically self teaching at that time, I look at that as part of the problem...and me being a bonehead as the rest of the problem! Below is a pic of the quilt top after I finally got everything figured out...and on the hst blocks, I tried taking them all apart and doing the seams correctly. I ended up just remaking them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446710[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100.jpg  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:05 PM

I'm not a perfectionist so it wouldn't bother me. I haven't had trouble quilting over bulky seams and I'd just avoid the intersections.

Then again, I often lose points of triangles and my seams don't always match. If you're a perfectionist, I wouldn't take advice from me.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 PM

Kiffie, I love your quilt! What is the name of the pattern and do you remember where you got it! Beautiful Job!!!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:10 AM

Carol,
Thank you for the kind compliments. I really need to get cracking and quilt it so it will be finished! It's a 10 month bom series called Schoolhouse Series "Skill a month" by Sandi Ray. I have had others ask about it, last I checked the patterns are out of print. I did a quick Google search and from what I find they are still unavailable. I think my lqs where I bought the whole series still had extras last time I was by there, though not sure if she has the set of all 10 patterns. I will check with her and pm you.
Regards,
K

Last edited by kiffie2413; 11-14-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:45 AM

You could also take a hammer (clean, of course) and "whack 'em". I taught a purse class and some of the seams were very thick. I has the gals whack 'em and they flattened out nicely.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

It's a pain but will be worth it not to have the lumps.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
Kiffie, I love your quilt! What is the name of the pattern and do you remember where you got it! Beautiful Job!!!
Very pretty quilt. Well done. I'd like the pattern name too.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sewgood View Post
You could also take a hammer (clean, of course) and "whack 'em". I taught a purse class and some of the seams were very thick. I has the gals whack 'em and they flattened out nicely.
Whacking a seam can breakdown the threads of the seam and the fabric around it.....just a thought

The quilt is definitely a great "quilt sampler". Introduces a little bit of everything...great way to start.